Can anyone recommend a good Solar Powered battery charger/minder for Marine Batteries?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in AZ and where I will be parking my boat I don't have access to power to plug in a battery charger/tender. Wondering if anyone has tried the SOLAR versions and have a brand they recommend...would also like to find one that is weather proof, as it seems some don't handle rain at all. I have two batteries onboard my 2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000 that I will need to keep charged up.

I've been using the following one with good success for 3 years. I have it connected to my 2nd battery (accessory). When sitting in my driveway I flip my battery switch to both and it keeps both batteries charged. When I'm out on the lake and engine is off I flip the battery switch to 2 (accessory battery) and plug this in to give it some solar juice. I also got a SAE port plug that I wired in to the boat so I can easily connect and disconnect. Can't say it's the best option or not but works for me.

I went with the 5 watt one because it was cheaper but it's also listed as a trickle charger. The 10 and 15 watt don't have "trickle" listed for them. If I had to buy another one I would probably go with the 15 watt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q83TGO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N57XLNS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine is basically like slaizer's, works great. I also have it hooked to the 2nd battery. I just have the cord come out under the seat and plug in the panel when I know the boat is going to sit for more than a few days.

Also got one of these to hardwire the sae connector to the battery. The clamps that come with the solar charger probably won't stay put while boating.

1551212386567.png

I've been using the following one with good success for 3 years. I have it connected to my 2nd battery (accessory). When sitting in my driveway I flip my battery switch to both and it keeps both batteries charged. When I'm out on the lake and engine is off I flip the battery switch to 2 (accessory battery) and plug this in to give it some solar juice. I also got a SAE port plug that I wired in to the boat so I can easily connect and disconnect. Can't say it's the best option or not but works for me.

I went with the 5 watt one because it was cheaper but it's also listed as a trickle charger. The 10 and 15 watt don't have "trickle" listed for them. If I had to buy another one I would probably go with the 15 watt.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q83TGO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N57XLNS/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I purchased the 15W version of the Solar charger you recommended and it arrived. My 2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000 has two batteries and a knob which lets me choose battery 1, battery 2 or both. Do I need to charge each battery separately and does the knob have to reflect the battery being charged, or if I switch to both, will both batteries be charged by the solar unit? Sorry I don't know how these things work.

I connected the cables for the solar charger directly to battery 2. So battery 2 always charges when the solar panel is connected regardless of what position the switch is in. I however always keep my switch on both/dual so the batteries are connected and both maintain their charge. I also did it this way so when i'm out on the water just using the radio and accessories and draining battery 2 i could keep the solar charger connected and keep the battery juiced up a bit longer.

If you had more concerns for battery 1, then alternative you could connect the solar charger directly to battery 1. But I preferred keeping battery 2 maintained since you tend to use that one when the boat engine isn't running and charging batteries on it's own.

If I recall right I originally tried connecting the positive cable from the solar charger to the positive "common" bolt on my switch. In hopes I could pick what I charged based on the position of the switch. I either ended up not doing this because it didn't charge or maybe the connector wouldn't fit over the bolt.
Next time it's nice out I'm going to attempt to move the positive connector from the solar charger to the battery switch common to see why I didn't do it that way to begin with. Can't recall exactly why since it's been 3 years.

Another thing to keep in mind this seems to work for me for the last 3 years using a solar powered trickle charger that only maintains your battery power. I've read several articles that state if you are using a battery charger you need to charge 1 battery at a time or you need to have one of those dual battery charger systems that can accurately charge both batteries to their full capacity without overcharging which could cause the battery to leak, expand, catch fire, explode, etc. I couldn't find any articles on if this warning about using a battery charger vs a trickle charger made any difference. But I've been doing this for 3 years and haven't had an issue.

Last edited:
I have purchased 2 of the 15W Battery Tender chargers in hopes of keeping both batteries fully charged between uses...one of the batteries was pretty low, so it is taking awhile to charge up...hopefully will be done by the weekend, as we plan to take the boat out.

I have purchased 2 of the 15W Battery Tender chargers in hopes of keeping both batteries fully charged between uses...one of the batteries was pretty low, so it is taking awhile to charge up...hopefully will be done by the weekend, as we plan to take the boat out.
If the battery is still low when you take it once you have your engine running change the battery switch to "both". Doing this will allow the boat to charge both batteries for you if that 2nd battery still needs more charging.

Thank you so much for your advice. So far I am very pleased with these solar chargers...as I have no way to access electricity where the boat is parked for the onboard charger, these should be the perfect solution. There have been some cloudy days this past week, which is probably why the indicator has not turned green yet...I will just make a point to hook these up every time I store the boat and then I should not have any battery issues until is it time to replace them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back