Can anybody tell me what this part does: 18-2203 WEAR RING KIT SPORTJET

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a 2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000 with the Mercury V6 2 stroke engine 240 hp.
It was burning through 20 gallons of gas every 2.5 hours and would only top out at 42 mph.

I took it to my local dealer and they are recommending replacing the following part (which will cost 1300 out the door). The mechanic feels this will improve gas consumption/speed issues. I want to better understand what this part does and how it will impact performance.

18-2203 WEAR RING KIT SPORTJET

I recently purchased a 2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000 with the Mercury V6 2 stroke engine 240 hp.
It was burning through 20 gallons of gas every 2.5 hours and would only top out at 42 mph.

I took it to my local dealer and they are recommending replacing the following part (which will cost 1300 out the door). The mechanic feels this will improve gas consumption/speed issues. I want to better understand what this part does and how it will impact performance.

18-2203 WEAR RING KIT SPORTJET
The wear ring is the housing around the impeller. The less clearance between wear ring and impeller blades, the less internal "leakage" in the pump system. Replacement is one option. Most people here go with epoxy/fiberglass repair. About $10-$15 and a couple of hours. Lasts between a season and several years. So far, 4 years on my repair.

As I am not a mechanic, do not have the tools, etc...I take to a dealer to fix it, much more expensive I know, but my only option at this point.

I didn't get it back, but the boat is 18 years old and it had never been changed according to previous owner. The mechanic felt changing it out would improve performance. I have come to the conclusion, this engine doesn't get great gas mileage and won't be as fast as my previous 1997 Challenger with two rotax engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back