Calling all EGT Tuners! Newbie has ?'s

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDoSeaDoo

Hey guys, I recently bought a set of Koso EGT gauges for my 787 Challenger. I plan on tuning all my skies with this gauge, but currently am starting with my boat. I have a fresh rebuild on this motor, pressure tested to hold 10psi. Standard bore, with some chamfering of the case and cylinders. I just basically cleaned up the casting marks and smoothed some edges. The probes sit about an inch away from the Y-pipe gasket and are right in the center of the port. When I fired the engine up, I get a reading that my Mag cylinder runs quite a bit hotter than my PTO. Like 100degF hotter. I feel that this is worthy of action. This persists through all bands of RPM and I was not able to tune it out with needles. I haven't taken carbs apart yet, but did look and see that the linkage was adjusted. Judging with the eye up close to the carb, they seem identical, but is there a better method of verifying? Is it common to have one cylinder run this much hotter? What's an acceptable differential gradient? Would pop-off pressure affect the fuel delivery at all RPMs?

Thanks!

Also, forgot to ask this: can anyone tell me what my EGT should be at idle on say a 70degF day? How can I tell if I'm running rich at idle? My highest temp at WOT was about 1070 on the MAG, PTO was 100degF less... At idle, I think it was in the high 400's, again PTO reading quite a bit less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I finally got a chance to rip the carbs apart, and like the PO said, the MAG carb is new. Couldn't verify the jet sizes on it (stripped screw), but the pop-off registered at a nice 30psi. Next, I verified the settings on the PTO. The jets were 147 and 70, which I think is what the book calls for on a 97 challenger 110. The pop-off was only at 18-20. So this thing must've been running quite a bit richer, which is consistent with the readings I got. The PTO cyl was almost constantly 80-100degF cooler than the MAG. I found a new spring in my carbs bin and put the pop-off to 30. Reassembled and plan on testing today. On my last trip out, I did notice a peculiar symptom: If I rev it from low speed, it would smoothly accelerate to the top RPM (didn't look to see what that was) and stay there for a second or two, but then slip into a slightly lower RPM and sound rough. My buddy thought it was a lean condition, but I thought it was raves. I popped the cap off the raves and they move up and down all the way. No binding, and the resistance is what i'd expect. I know that 1030degF isn't too hot for this engine, and that's what my leaner piston was running, so I'm going to try it with my new carb settings. I still have pre-mix gas in the tank, and I'm running injection. Can't wait to burn through this tank to see what my actual EGT numbers will be.

Offtopic: I recently bought an Arduino. It's a $15 microcontroller which you can program to do all the things these $350 EGT gauges do. All you need are a few thermocouples and a bit of ambition. Everything is on youtube. I am no programmer, but I feel that this will be a fun and easy project :) In the end, I hope to read EGT, Water Temp, RPM, Volts, and low oil. Eventually, I may even play with the notion of converting to fuel injection. I know it's been done before on a car.

from what I understand the MAG cylinder does run hotter than the PTO. you have the flywheel/electronics/mag housing all collecting and absorbing heat, so heat transfer and temps will be different. I do not know the exact temp differences, but as long as your carb settings are good to go and plug color confirms along with good performance you should be fine...

Does anyone out there know what stock idle temps should be at 1500 rpm? I have no idea if I'm running too rich or too lean at idle. I do quite a bit of idling, and don't want to constantly kill plugs. Is there even a way you can damage the engine at idle, or would it just run too poorly that would happen? I don't trust the book's specs as I did a bit of chamfering/cleaning the case of casting marks and rough edges. I feel that it flows better than a totally stock motor, but the ports are all stock. When reading plugs, when do you do this? New plugs seem to take forever to take on a hue...

Well, after equalizing my Pop-off pressures, the PTO is still running 70-100degF lower, and that seems consistent across the entire throttle range. :confused: My Mag cyl is only getting up to 1000-1030degF and I'm only hitting like 6500rpm. I'm thinking I may have my water reg tuned too far out. I think I need to screw it in as I may have screwed it out too far last time I was messing with it. Anyone know of anything else it could be?

Check out these plug readings please

Well, I screwed the water reg adjuster in to the point where I couldn't keep my hand on the lower E. Pipe. I backed it back out one turn in fear of melting my oil line. I made sure my linkage goes all the way to WOT and have put in new plugs to get a reading. How long am I supposed to run it before I get a reading? I took some pics this time, hope you guys can tell me. The first pic is of me doing a WOT run for about 5 min. EGTs were 930's PTO and 1030's MAG, RPMs never went above 6600. Top speed was lacking. The second pic is of idling at around 1600RPMs for 5 min. Egts were in the 4-500 range
P1060668.JPGP1060669.JPG
Please let me know what you think about the color of the porcelain, and the color of the electrode. Which am I supposed to go off? Could my rotary valve timing be off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back