C180 Rpm

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnz

I noticed when giving full throttle the rpm actually go's up and beyond 8k almost directly pointing towards the bottom. I can't seem to find any posts on it. Is this normal should I be concerned?

Are you talking from a stand still when you give it full throttle or during cruise?
If it goes that far it's probably just your tach acting up. I find mine does this occasionally and if I give the tach a couple knocks with my knuckles it goes back to normal. If it actually was going straight down you would be hitting the limiter. Otherwise depending on the condition of your wear ring, impeller, carbon seal etc it's normal to momentarily go over 8000 if you rapidly go to full throttle from a stop. Also if you have weeds in you intake it would cause an unusually high rpm for any given speed. Seeing you have/had many jet powered watercraft I'm sure you're aware of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's random. When punching it from a stop sometimes it goes straight past 8 and sometimes it catches like it should. I didn't know if there was something that would make the tach act up?

It's random. When punching it from a stop sometimes it goes straight past 8 and sometimes it catches like it should. I didn't know if there was something that would make the tach act up?

Does the engine sound the same in both these scenarios?

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. The last time I had my boat out I noticed while cruising at my usual 6000 RPM I was only doing 27 mph or so instead of the usual 30. I gave the tach a whack and it instantly dropped to 5500. So they certainly can act up sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back