Buying Advice...04 RXP or 06 RXT ????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nohassle5

I've been bitten by the bug again. I've searched a bit and I've found a couple of options. I'm seeking some counsel on which direction to go.

2004 RXP with 60 hrs for $5K
or
2006 RXT with 80 hrs for $6K.

Both come with single galvanized trailers and are fresh water, one owner skis. They both appear to be in great condition, and neither have had s/c rebuilds. I will certainly water test whatever I choose to buy. Advice?

I come from the 2 stroke background having owned a 91 XP and a 98 Speedster. The lake I'm on can be choppy a lot of the time. I'd like a comfortable, but also a fun ski. I've got a conventional runabout 21' boat that replaced the speedster, but want something to take out quickly when I don't want to mess with dragging the boat out.

Fire away!
Thanks in advance.

I'd recommend the RXT for choppy conditions. Either one you get will need a SC rebuild so budget for that too. I'd fork over the extra cash for the RXT but try to talk down the price a bit. Seems a touch high for an 06 with 80hrs. Compared to 2 strokes these newer 4 strokes run forever. You can easily get a few hundred hrs out of one that has been properly maintained.

I'd recommend the RXT for choppy conditions. Either one you get will need a SC rebuild so budget for that too. I'd fork over the extra cash for the RXT but try to talk down the price a bit. Seems a touch high for an 06 with 80hrs. Compared to 2 strokes these newer 4 strokes run forever. You can easily get a few hundred hrs out of one that has been properly maintained.

Thanks for the quick response guys. I know I'll have to do a S/C rebuild either way prior to 100 hrs. Are you recommending the RXT based on the size and ability to handle chop better? What should I shoot for price wise on the RXT?

Yea the RXT takes chop way better than the RXP. I'd try to knock him down to 5k but if not I'd pay the 6 if it is in good shape and trailer is good.

Over-all the RXT is the better way to go.

Newer and will hold its value longer, better ride in chop, all other things are equal. Same engine, will need SC rebuild, engine hours close enough to not sway a decission, both in good condition, both have good trailers.

To me it is a no brainier. As I said above, TRY to knock the price down a bit but if you can't it is still the better of the two skis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ober-all the RXT is the better way to go.

Newer and will hold its value longer, better ride in chop, all other things are equal. Same engine, will need SC rebuild, engine hours close enough to not sway a decission, both in good condition, both have good trailers.

To me it is a no brainier. As I said above, TRY to knock the price down a bit but if you can't it is still the better of the two skis.

Thanks Guys. Anything I should be looking for in particular once I'm able to examine and water test the ski?

Pretty much if it goes well in the water and you don't hear any noises you shouldn't.

I would check to see that it reaches max RPMs as this will help to ensure good runability. Pull the dip stick and look for CLEAN oil. Also that the level is BETWEEN the marks. To high and it will run slower, to low and can cause engine damage. Our engines do not like an over-filled oil tank.

Look inside the hull for any sign of oil or coolant leaks. They will puddle towards the rear by the pump tunnel almost every time. If you water test it and notice a slight hesitation at lower rpm its almost always bad plugs. If its been sitting a while it will do that. Nothing to worry about and easy to change. Check for cavitation under acceleration. If present do your best to inspect the wear ring and impeller. Even a slight bend or gouge can cause some cavitation. Also really easy to fix however not as cheap as a set of plugs.

Thanks for the responses. The '06 RXT (80 hrs) I'm looking at has a Riva Supercharger, Riva Blow Off Valve, and Skat Trak SS Impeller. Does that give it a distinct advantage over another stock one I've found for the same $ with only 40 hrs? Or should I be more concerned that it's been tinkered with, or glad the SC has already been addressed?

Then that's a good deal for 6k. Those mods should bring it up a notch. Not sure if the riva sc requires bigger injectors to run safely.

Well, I went to check out the RXT with the RIVA upgrades, and it was simply neglected, and abused. There was severe cracking in the gelcoat on the nose due to a collision, excessive oil in the hull, and a trailer worthy of the junkyard. When I spoke with the owner via phone, he mentioned none of these issues and even stated the physical state of the hull as an 8 out of 10.
The hunt will continue....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back