Buying a Challenger 230. Any tips or suggestions? How does everybody like theirs?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandman251

Don't see a lot of posts about the 230. Hoping its because they are so reliable and trouble-free. Made an offer on a 2010 230 SE 430 through a dealer. Impeccable maintenance history. 58 hrs. Very recent SC service/rebuilds. Basically new condition. Wondering if there are any obvious shortcomings or known issues with this model. Who has one and how do you like it?

Don't see a lot of posts about the 230. Hoping its because they are so reliable and trouble-free. Made an offer on a 2010 230 SE 430 through a dealer. Impeccable maintenance history. 58 hrs. Very recent SC service/rebuilds. Basically new condition. Wondering if there are any obvious shortcomings or known issues with this model. Who has one and how do you like it?

We own a 2009 230 wake 510 hp over all we like it. tons of fun not a huge fan of the 4 post tower, wish we had the fold-able tower. not a fan of the factory carpet, seadek is happening this summer. slow speed maneuvering takes a little getting used to but personally i really like it. love the room in the 230 its a large step up from the 21 footer

We own a 2009 230 wake 510 hp over all we like it. tons of fun not a huge fan of the 4 post tower, wish we had the fold-able tower. not a fan of the factory carpet, seadek is happening this summer. slow speed maneuvering takes a little getting used to but personally i really like it. love the room in the 230 its a large step up from the 21 footer

Nice, thanks. Actually I had to look for one WITHOUT the tower. We have several low bridges we need to get under. How do you find it performs in chop. Sold the 1800 last fall. It was too rough on my neck and back. Hoping to see a little smoother ride with the 230. What are your performance numbers? A realize you have the 510, but is fuel burn crazy?

Have a 2012 230 SP 520. Collapsing tower. Boat has no common issues. 250 hrs all by me. Only gets faster. Easy to upgrade lights engine parts etc.

Last edited:
Have the 230 SE with sc430, what most have said. SeaDek is sitting in a box waiting for warmer weather along with adding a 2nd battery for stereo system. We have the factory tower and like it. Folding would be nice but the one we have is great. Very manageable and nimble boat once you practice and get used to it. We run on several lakes including a couple really big that holds well. If really big waves we kick her up and smooths out a lot. Downside is she gets really thirsty, especially if you like to show off the speed. We do lot of cruising and water sports. So far handles everything we've tried. Just got into surfing behind last fall without ballast too. SC maintenance is key and staying on top of, we had to replace engine due to sc blowing up, found out previous owner who said upgraded from ceramic washers hadn't or it had issues and was covered up etc. Love the boat. Favorite one we've ever had.

Have the 230 SE with sc430, what most have said. SeaDek is sitting in a box waiting for warmer weather along with adding a 2nd battery for stereo system. We have the factory tower and like it. Folding would be nice but the one we have is great. Very manageable and nimble boat once you practice and get used to it. We run on several lakes including a couple really big that holds well. If really big waves we kick her up and smooths out a lot. Downside is she gets really thirsty, especially if you like to show off the speed. We do lot of cruising and water sports. So far handles everything we've tried. Just got into surfing behind last fall without ballast too. SC maintenance is key and staying on top of, we had to replace engine due to sc blowing up, found out previous owner who said upgraded from ceramic washers hadn't or it had issues and was covered up etc. Love the boat. Favorite one we've ever had.
So I'm wondering what you're finding for typical top speed numbers. Previous owner claims "upper 50s" I just can't imagine going over 50 in a boat this size. Got to be quite a thrill.

When mechanic was all said done with everything was about $7 k for the one with new everything, engine, exhaust, SC, not rebuilt either. Top speed with full tank, 5 adults and near perfect glass conditions was 58 (GPS speed) on normal conditions with 5-8 adults we can easily get 55. Love to do hard turns at full speed. Cuts like on a rail, definitely want to tell passengers to use the "os" bars ;). Thing handles like a giant jet ski. Can only imagine what others think when they see us playing. We're the only ones with a Sea Doo in our area, have only seen 1 other 230 on a bigger lake.

Wonder if you guys can answer a question about your trailers. Whether it is painted or galvanized I think they're the same. Are they electronic brakes that need a controller inside the vehicle, or are they surge brakes?

The trailer is going to have surge brakes, boat trailers are rarely equipped with electric brakes. So no controller is needed. That being said make sure maintain your trailer brakes and keep an eye on the fluid level, there isn't much in there so doesn't take long for them to run low.

Nice, thanks. Actually I had to look for one WITHOUT the tower. We have several low bridges we need to get under. How do you find it performs in chop. Sold the 1800 last fall. It was too rough on my neck and back. Hoping to see a little smoother ride with the 230. What are your performance numbers? A realize you have the 510, but is fuel burn crazy?

Depends on how bad the chop......ive had the boat out where spray was always on the windshields and water coming over the bow.....that was no fun for anyone, light chop or wake from larger boats are no issues you'll find it far better then your 18 footer. it is thirsty but no more then any other boat with similar HP with 1/2 tank fuel fresh SC rebuilds 2 adults and glass conditions i hit 60 mph gps speed (510 HP remember :p ), the last 5 mph took a while though. handling is second to none IMO, I agree it handles like a big jetski once you get used to low speed maneuvering you'll look like a pro at the dock even with cross winds. trailer is going to be surge brakes, regular maintenance is key re-pack the wheel bearings make sure the tires are in good shape etc. i have a red painted trailer thats faded a little i would like to see how a galvanized trailer would hold up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back