Busted another wear ring today

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JJinSC

I have had my XP since 97 and went 14 years on the original wear ring. Ran mostly on the intra coastal waterway. Been living on the Waccamaw river for the past seven years now and have gone through two wear rings in the past 3 years. I am attributing this to a couple factors.

1. After market wear rings
2. It seams like each time I bust one it is after a bunch of heavy rain which raises the river level and causes a lot of debris to start floating in the water.

Anyone have any other thoughts on why I might be having such a problem with wear rings now? It's always something. I finally get one of the final issues worked out (hesitation off idle) and now I have to pull the pump again. This time I am ordering an OEM wear ring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I consider myself very lucky if I can get 2-3 seasons out of a wear ring. I'm currently testing a delrin wear ring, and while I'm not ready to recommend one, the one I installed has given me excellent service, I'm on my second season and it still looks brand new. That being said I've also heard that some guys have had trouble with the fit of the delrin wear rings.

I keep an extra pump, I bought a used one from Chris, creynoldsmiz, rebuilt the pump, new bearings, impeller shaft, seal, etc. and keep it for a spare ready to bolt on. At the minimum I would suggest keeping an extra wear ring, it might save your weekend.

Lou

What started as a spare wear ring, then spare impeller, turned into a spare jet pump. Which turned into a spare engine. Which has now turned into two spare skis!

Good idea. Might start looking for a spare pump. Definitely will order two wear rings this time. I'd like to have a spare ski, but got no more room with all the other toys.

Well I ordered one OEM wear ring from local dealer. They had to order as they had none in stock. They told me it would take 3 to 5 business days. I also went online and ordered an OEM wear ring on Amazon.com. The company was Louis Powersports. It was seven dollars cheaper with free shipping. I figured whichever one I received the first I would use immediately and save the other for a spare. Two days later I received the one from Louis Powersports. Ship from halfway across the country had it in two days. Free shipping. That is great.

Tried the freezer trick but it is not wanting to come out. Wear ring is pretty busted up and catching on Impeller. Going to try another hour in the freezer.

i've never heard on putting them in the freezer to remove them, i usually cut them out. i freeze the new ring thats going in, that way its slightly smaller than the pump...

I have seen a couple youtube videos and a post or two on this forum that if you put the pump in the freezer, the old ring will pull right out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a spare plastic pump with no bearings I can send your way.
:rolleyes:
Can send it with an OEM WR too if my dealer has one.

I have one new OEM wear ring and another due by weeks end. What is a plastic pump?

I couldn't get the old wear ring out with the freezer trick so I pulled the cone. The oil looked clean and black like it was brand-new. However I am not 100% sure it was completely full. Does this pusher look too worn?
250.jpg

Also, I have an impeller removal tool but not a shaft holder. Will a vice hold it enough without the shaft holder. Also, do I really need to hear the shaft first?

Do I need to heat the shaft?
Sorry, this is he first time I am trying it all myself. Usually I just pull the pump and take it to dealer to change wear ring. I want to make sure it is all check thoroughly this time and done right.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one new OEM wear ring and another due by weeks end. What is a plastic pump?

The pump housing is plastic vs bronze on some models.
Saber had commented how spare WR becomes a replacement pump and then replacement engine.

If you wanted another pump housing and have it read just to bolt on vs going though hassle of changing it out.
Dealer I go to usually has OEM WR for 50 plus tax.

I broke a vice trying to loosen bolt holding impeller. Def get a cheater bar
:mad:

[MENTION=33508]ocod[/MENTION]:

Most of my pump housing is plastic with some bronze where the impeller shaft runs through. Will that pump you have work on a 97 XP?

When replacing my speedometer sensor last night, I took the pump off my 02XP, tried to spin the impeller by hand. couldnt

wear ring is jammed in it. UGH. can't win. didn't even notice it while riding lol.

pulled the ring and ordered a "delrin" one... cheaper than OEM, and we shall see how it holds up / works.

When replacing my speedometer sensor last night, I took the pump off my 02XP, tried to spin the impeller by hand. couldnt

wear ring is jammed in it. UGH. can't win. didn't even notice it while riding lol.

pulled the ring and ordered a "delrin" one... cheaper than OEM, and we shall see how it holds up / works.

Unrelated: Update your speedo thread, let us know how your paddle wheel replacement works out.

Related: I have used both OEM and aftermarket wear rings. I have had good luck with the ebay wear rings that include a new seal and have a groove cut in them. They fit nice and tight and aren't out of round. I use the non OEM on my backup ski.

I've always had great luck with wear rings, I usually upgrade ski's before I need one, we do see a lot of debris on our waterways as well. Must be just dumb luck. I like the idea of a spare pump if your having consistent issues, that way you can just remove/replace, heck, you could do that at the ramp, vs missing a weekend waiting for parts.

And if you end up not needing it or changing ski's you can usually sell the pump for what you paid.

@ocod:

Most of my pump housing is plastic with some bronze where the impeller shaft runs through. Will that pump you have work on a 97 XP?

yip
The only thing missing is the fitting that goes through the hull for bailers since pump came off boat.
Racerxxx bought one to use as a spare to put on his XP.
We can check with him jik if your interested.

I have a SBT plastic wear ring and am on my second year. So far so good. I wouldn't hesitate getting my next wear ring from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back