Bunk mount bolts on trailer rusted and broke into

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbug13

Took the boat out today to try to find that leak, still haven't found it yet. But when we put the boat on the trailer then pulled it to the parking lot to fasten everything down we noticed the boat was sitting funny. So after looking around I noticed the bunk board in the right side was off its mount. So front and back mounts the bolts were rusted and broke off. So we had to back it back in the water a few times.while I got under the boat and moved the board to were it's supposed to be and hold it while she pulls it out. It's a galvanized trailer from seadoo so now I have to figure how I can fix that this winter without putting it in the water. Any idea?.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1537750497070.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537750497070.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 31
If you still have time get it done now! It may be as simple as a few new bolts but, Take a day, have someone take the boat out and fix the trailer. My thought.... Measure and cut the treated wood you need, get the correct bolts, get some bunk carpet and set some time aside and make it happen. Just my opinion!

I agree with gb387.

I had the same problem with the factory lag bolts coming out of the rotted wood. I replaced both bunks with new wood and through-bolted them to the mounts, no more lag bolts. I countersunk the heads so they sat below the top of the bunk so the boat wouldn't hit them and stapled some outdoor carpet on them.

I think the whole job took about 2 hours and cost less than $60 for everything.

I have seen photos of a bunk failure punching holes in the bottom of the boat probably not something to mess around with.

I agree with gb387.

I had the same problem with the factory lag bolts coming out of the rotted wood. I replaced both bunks with new wood and through-bolted them to the mounts, no more lag bolts. I countersunk the heads so they sat below the top of the bunk so the boat wouldn't hit them and stapled some outdoor carpet on them.

I think the whole job took about 2 hours and cost less than $60 for everything.
The wood seems fine just the bolts rusted into so I need to replace what I think is the U bolt. If that's the case I just need to get a U bolt size and find some galvanized or stainless.

U-Bolt? Factory bunks were bolted with lag bolts from underneath into the bottom of the bunk. A lag bolt is like a fat, stubby screw. If it's rusted enough to fall aparat, then more than likely the wood is also pretty rotted in that area.

Why not fix it right? It's a pretty cheap repair.

U-Bolt? Factory bunks were bolted with lag bolts from underneath into the bottom of the bunk. A lag bolt is like a fat, stubby screw. If it's rusted enough to fall aparat, then more than likely the wood is also pretty rotted in that area.

Why not fix it right? It's a pretty cheap repair.
From what info I have found on the galvanized seadoo trailer from the company I think that makes them this type has a U bolt that I think goes threw the board then threw a bunk support then into the mount on the trailer. Odds are I will replace the boards I agree unless they just don't need too but I wouldn't get on it. I've had a number of boats and jet skis over the yrs and I've never had a trailer like this one before. Then trailer i don't think was taken care of so I will rebuild a lot of it over the winter as I have time, new brakes pads, winch strap and roller and stuff.

Could you post a pic of what U Bolt you're referring to?

I just went out and took a pic of my factory galvanized trailer and see no signs of any U-Bolts. Trailer is a Caravan trailer according to sticker on tongue. Having swapped out my bunks last year, mine were attached to the trailer bracket from underneath with lag bolts into the underside of the bunks.

I through bolted them when I redid everything. Here's a pic from this morning of the through bolts sticking through the plate and trailer mount bracket. As you can see each bunk has 3 bolts on each end, 6 per side.

If the bunks were u-bolted to the trailer, I don't see how that could be factory or even work when the fronts were single bolted?

Pic is below is rear, port side of trailer.

Bunk.jpg

Could you post a pic of what U Bolt you're referring to?

I just went out and took a pic of my factory galvanized trailer and see no signs of any U-Bolts. Trailer is a Caravan trailer according to sticker on tongue. Having swapped out my bunks last year, mine were attached to the trailer bracket from underneath with lag bolts into the underside of the bunks.

I through bolted them when I redid everything. Here's a pic from this morning of the through bolts sticking through the plate and trailer mount bracket. As you can see each bunk has 3 bolts on each end, 6 per side.

If the bunks were u-bolted to the trailer, I don't see how that could be factory or even work when the fronts were single bolted?

Pic is below is rear, port side of trailer.

View attachment 38123
That's the same as mine but one trailer place.I talked to said they were U bolts so I was going by what I was told. So they are just galvanized bolts and they countersink the heads in the boards to make them flush I take it. That will make it easier! I just have to decide if I want to go carpet or put something like the carlile plastic pads on the boards. Thanks for the heads up on the repair it helps alot!

That's the same as mine but one trailer place.I talked to said they were U bolts so I was going by what I was told. So they are just galvanized bolts and they countersink the heads in the boards to make them flush I take it. That will make it easier! I just have to decide if I want to go carpet or put something like the carlile plastic pads on the boards. Thanks for the heads up on the repair it helps alot!

If you look under your bunks, you should see bolt heads. The original installation was done with lag bolts from underneath. The wood or bolts get rotted and they pull out. In my pic, you can see the bolts and nuts on the underside of the bunk mounts.

After the factory lag bolts pulled out, I went ahead and used galvanized bolts from the top side of the wood. I counter-sunk the bolts heads so they were below the top surface of the bunks to ensure the boat wouldn't make contact with the heads. Through bolting was a better choice IMO.

Below are pics of what the factory mounts should look like from underneath as well as the lag bolts used.

Post a pic of what the underside of your bunks look like and I can tell you what you have.
Lag Bolts.jpg
Bunks.jpg

If you look under your bunks, you should see bolt heads. The original installation was done with lag bolts from underneath. The wood or bolts get rotted and they pull out. In my pic, you can see the bolts and nuts on the underside of the bunk mounts.

After the factory lag bolts pulled out, I went ahead and used galvanized bolts from the top side of the wood. I counter-sunk the bolts heads so they were below the top surface of the bunks to ensure the boat wouldn't make contact with the heads. Through bolting was a better choice IMO.

Below are pics of what the factory mounts should look like from underneath as well as the lag bolts used.

Post a pic of what the underside of your bunks look like and I can tell you what you have.
View attachment 38134
View attachment 38133
Mine look like the ones posted above this one with the nuts not the lag bolts. Been super busy at work and haven't had time to get on here till now sorry. Thanks for any info, I need to start getting stuff ordered to fix this just been super busy lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back