Broken Steering Nut - Serious Leak 2003 XP DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

groverxp

This is just for reference. I recently was on the lake and noticed my ski ('04 XP DI) rapidly filling up with water when turned off. I anchor my ski a few feet from shore, so as not to get damaged, so it is constantly in the water. Now, I am fairly new to owning a jet ski and recently dropped in without the plugs in so I'm pretty cautious of monitoring the hull for water. Anyways, as I noticed the ski was starting to fill I decide to pull it out before it was to late. However, once I drove the ski to the ramp it was empty. After, a little research on various forums I realized that this is because of the bilge pump(s) which pump out the water. Anyways, I backed my ski down the ramp and into the water to try and locate the source of the leak. I could clearly hear the water coming into the hull, as the link shows, but couldn't see it because it was tucked up under a bunch of hoses. I ended up having to fill the battery compartment with a water hose to see where water would leak out. Two things on this part; first, I knew the leak was coming from the area around the jet pump so I didn't have to fill it very much and secondly, I made sure the ski was on a decline so the water would pool up against the pump area. Once I did this, it was clear water was spilling out directly from the plastic nut which the steering cable protrudes from. A four step fix which cost me less than $9;

1. Buy the part from you local Seadoo dealer, I assume the steering nut is somewhat universal or they sell a lot of them as the salesman didn't even need my model year etc. You'll want to get the nut as well as the gasket.

2. Disconnect your battery as a safety pre-caution. After trying to remove the nut without pulling out the jet pump (bought a basin wrench, which I later returned) I decided to go ahead and do it. First time to do so, was fairly simple, just undo the VTS nut, steering cable, and the 4 nuts holding the jet pump on. Then carefully wiggle the jet pump off.

3. Unscrew the steering nut, this is really the only tricky party because if you're not careful you can snap the head of the nut right off leaving the nut itself still screwed in at which point the dealer allegedly has a special tool they use to remove it. Fortunately mine came right out, and slid down and off the cable. I forgot to mention I had to remove the piece on the end of the steering cable which bolts to the pump as well as the plastic stopper which is half way down the steering cable. To do this is pulled the steering nut down the cable and the stopper came right out.

4. Install the new nut and gasket, the new one was white as the old one was black. Mine didn't screw down flush but went in pretty far. During this process my steering cable was pulled in and out a bit which did cause the ski to not turn left the first time I was in the water but FORTUNATELY it seemed to correct itself . Though it very well may need to be tightened in the future. After re-installing the rest of the cable, pump, VTS and reconnecting the battery I took it to the lake and dropped in. NO LEAK!

I'm no pro, but I'm fairly sure I saved myself a couple hundred bucks. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X039Lrj5_Ms&feature=plcp

My fitting is broken with some threads still in the hull. Any ideas on removing without ruining the hull threads? 2000 GS.

i just did this the other day. I removed the pump and disconneced the cable to pull it back into the hull. I took a hack saw blade in my hand and very slowly and carefully cut the nut in two places. The trick is to NOT cut into the threads! While cutting the nut I would stop every couple of strokes and check on depth of the cut. Then with needle nose pliers I pulled the part out, then I took an ice pick and worked the remainer out by unscrewing it. The ice pick rode in the threads and did not do any damage.

Before i put it back together i ran the new nut in and out a few times to make sure the threads were good.

ya becareful you dont screw up the threads because if not your gunna have to buy a new support pump (which is hard to find) or your gunna spend atleast 200 dollars at a shop getting it done

Mechanic buddy loaned me a really big easy out.. may tape wrap it to try it first.. I hate to start takin pump parts off since I've NEVER worked on a Seadoo before.. I've fubarred a lot of stuff doing things like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back