Broken Steering and aftermarket fuel filter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Newbie here so please dont be overly technical in your answers :) I was out at the local lake yesterday with the family on my 2001 GTS doing some moderate turns nothing crazy though when suddenly I can only turn right at idle or very low speed. As soon as I get to about 1/3 throttle it wont turn right, and at full throttle I have to hold the steering ALL the way to the right just to stay straight. I tracked the problem down to a plastic piece in the rear where the steering assembly comes out of the hull and connects to the nozzle. I am attaching pics. My question is how do I replace this part, and do I just need to order it or others also? I figure someone on here has dealt with a similar issue since this piece is plastic.....

Also, I have attached some pics of the fuel gauge my ride has on it from the PO. I have had some problems of the Doo dying at idle, and rough (almost not) restarts after anchoring at the beach for about 15-30 min. I figured this has to do with a weak battery or something with this filter. Also, the stock filter is removed completely...dont know why.

Attachments

• DSCN1752.jpg
    DSCN1752.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN1753.jpg
    DSCN1753.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1754.jpg
    DSCN1754.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCN1755.jpg
    DSCN1755.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1756.jpg
    DSCN1756.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 21
If the threads aren't striped on the ride plate it looks like all you would need are the following parts, one #74 cable lock, 2ea. half ring, and one #69 rubber washer, click parts above.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/seadooforums/Seadoo_oem/Seadoo_PWC.asp?Type=13&A=85&B=16

Looks easy enough to replace, just unscrew part no. 71 from the end of the cable assembly.

I didn't see the pics. of the fuel gauge, so I can't comment. If your ski is dying at idle try setting the idle higher, should be 3000rpm or so out of the water.

Lou

P.S. How bout them CATS.

Attachments

• UK Logo.jpg
    UK Logo.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Lou,

Thx for the help. I had put those exact items in my shopping cart, but was hesitant to order without some insight from users. Needless to say they have been ordered and I am anxious to get them in and fix the issue.

Sorry about the whole fuel filter thing, didn't realize I didnt put the pictures up...Guess you guys need those to help me with that huh...duh :) I will post them on this reply.

I am more of an Oklahoma fan at heart as my whole family are alumni lol

Attachments

• DSCN1759.jpg
    DSCN1759.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN1760.jpg
    DSCN1760.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 22
It looks like the right fuel filter, but you MUST change out the gray tempo fuel lines for auto black lines. The gray lines get clogged up by green goo because of the new gas. Change one line at a time to be sure you replace them correctly. Also clean the fuel switch valve (on/off/reserve) or buy a new one if real dirty. Also clean the carb filters.
Clogged lines will prevent the full amount of gas into the motor and CAN cause a lean running engine which will lead to blown pistons,etc.
It looks like the little white oil filter could be changed also....can't buy theses in a auto parts store...buy OEM for this.

Lou,

Thx for the help. I had put those exact items in my shopping cart, but was hesitant to order without some insight from users. Needless to say they have been ordered and I am anxious to get them in and fix the issue.

Sorry about the whole fuel filter thing, didn't realize I didnt put the pictures up...Guess you guys need those to help me with that huh...duh :) I will post them on this reply.

I am more of an Oklahoma fan at heart as my whole family are alumni lol

Change out your fuel Lines too

Here's a thread about changing out your fuel lines, also I believe that in line fuel filter is in backwards. The should be an arrow on the filter indicating fuel flow, it should point to the carbs. I use a Fram G-2 or G-12 (from Walmart) fuel filter.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthre...el-Delivery-Problems-low-revs-bogging-surging

Read over the thread and any questions we will be glad to answer.

I thought you might be a Jayhawks fan, we don't see many people from Kansas, thought we might get a friendly rivalry going, but since you're a Sooner I guess we'll just have to let it slide.

Lou

Lou,

I am going on a cruise with the wifey soon for 10 days but have decided when I get back I am going to chnge the fuel lines, clean selector valve and rebuild carb just in case..However, following your link above I was not able to see the pics in that thread. Does anyone on here know of a more recent thread with active pictures for fuel line changing and also carb rebuild? I am a newbie and have much confidence in my mechanical abilities, but I am a learner from watching and not reading :( Also, to check if my inline filter ois backwards can I just open up the filter and check or will this get air in the fuel line <-----NEWB sry....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back