Brightondale, New to Seadooforum / Tachometer Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightondale

Hi all, I'm Dale and new to this forum. I've had my 2002 Sportster LT now for 10 years and a while back I used the jetboating.net forum with no complaints, but the activity seems to have dried up there since sticking my nose back in.

Since I can't find a dealer who still has a working computer to tell me how many hours are on my boat, I'd guess to say about 700-800. I've always enjoyed long cruises and being in Michigan, I really can get a whole lot of variety. Very little WOT and usually only cruise at 4500rpm. I've always used the XPS full synthetic oil and I can say it's all pretty dry under the engines. Hopefully it will stay that way. The most hours I've heard on a 2 cycle Rotax is 1100, but I'm sure there's people with more out there. If anyone knows a way to get the MPEM to tell me how many hours it has, I'd love to hear it.

Anyway, I've been having a port side tachometer issue. Starting this year, this tach will work fine for the about the first hour then it wants to always go to 5k or go flat completely. Just recently, I tried tapping the bezel when it acts up and it usually goes back to normal. I read in another posting somewhere these tachs get their signal from the regulator and could suggest a new regulator is needed. But I'm wondering if this is true in my case since tapping the bezel often fixes it, even if only temporarily. Anyone have knowledge in this area?

Welcome to the forum. Many members here from Michigan. Seadoobuddy, from White Lake, Michigan, will probably be along to welcome you too and could have some answers to your questions.

In regards to hours, the 717 engine is very durable and reliable, but I have heard that around 500 hours would be the typical life of the motor before it would need some attention beyond the normal maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back