Bought a 2003 GTX DI been sitting for 5 years!! Only 40 hrs on it! Help PLEASE!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronsanio

Hey guys!

I just bought a 2003 gtx DI for 1800$ its been sitting for 5 years and only has 40hrs on it! It was winterized in 2007 and hasnt been touched since! I work on cars daily ( I am not a mechanic but I do fleet work but also I have done timing belts and such on cars) So i haven't worked on a seadoo before though! But please fill me in on things that I should do before cranking this guy over.

It does not have a battery so my first step is to get one... from there what do you guys think I should do?

All the help possible would be great thanks!!!:thumbsup:

Where should I get a battery? and what kind?

Attachments

• IMG_20130410_095803.jpg
    IMG_20130410_095803.jpg
    965.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys!

I just bought a 2003 gtx DI for 1800$ its been sitting for 5 years and only has 40hrs on it! It was winterized in 2007 and hasnt been touched since! I work on cars daily ( I am not a mechanic but I do fleet work but also I have done timing belts and such on cars) So i haven't worked on a seadoo before though! But please fill me in on things that I should do before cranking this guy over.

It does not have a battery so my first step is to get one... from there what do you guys think I should do?

nice score on the ski bud :thumbsup:

i would get a battery for sure.. .. and try and fire her up.. once shes started run it on water for a few minutes..then as a preventative thing i would change the plugs and oil, i dont think itll take much to get it up and running again

Try posting this over in the 2 stroke forum for better responses. However, I had the same exact machine and my advice to you is sell it ASAP. That 951 DI motor is probably the least reliable one BRP produced. I had nothing but problems with mine. I only had it for a season and missed out most of it due to expensive repairs.

Hey guys!

Where should I get a battery? and what kind?

Youre going to become good friends with your sea-doo dealer. Not a bad ski overall but sitting for so long is never good for the motor or any of the seals (and theres quite a few) It is the DI model so there is a computer that drives that system- and if theres a problem, you need the sea-doo scan tool to see what it is (hence why I say you will be good friends with the dealer).

Did the motor spin freely with the plugs out? Compression numbers? Was it run completely dry of fuel when stored? If there is any residual fuel in the tank get it the hell OUT! Otherwise, I'd empty the oil tank and put fresh stuff in, and the same with the impeller oil. Get a battery in it and see what she does!

I agree,,,

New battery, Replace all fluids, compression check even if it starts.

Post what you find out...

What should the compression numbers be? I just bought a compression tester off amazon and it should be here on sat. I will dump the oil and gas and replace the spark plugs before i even try to start it. Any ideas on where to get the battery or what exact battery I need for that ski so I can get it on amazon instead of at a shop..

Thanks alot for the info!!!

Youre going to become good friends with your sea-doo dealer. Not a bad ski overall but sitting for so long is never good for the motor or any of the seals (and theres quite a few) It is the DI model so there is a computer that drives that system- and if theres a problem, you need the sea-doo scan tool to see what it is (hence why I say you will be good friends with the dealer).

Did the motor spin freely with the plugs out? Compression numbers? Was it run completely dry of fuel when stored? If there is any residual fuel in the tank get it the hell OUT! Otherwise, I'd empty the oil tank and put fresh stuff in, and the same with the impeller oil. Get a battery in it and see what she does!

What should the compression numbers be? I just bought a compression tester off amazon and it should be here on sat. I will dump the oil and gas and replace the spark plugs before i even try to start it. Any ideas on where to get the battery or what exact battery I need for that ski so I can get it on amazon instead of at a shop..

Thanks alot for the info!!!

2003 GTX DI Starter wont crank also a few other questions Please Help!!!

Ok So I just replaced the Battery and complete drained all gas and oil and put in new spark plugs. I just bought this seadoo so I am not familiar with what the current problems are but here is what is basically going on. When i put on the key I here the fuel pump sucking up than I get 4 beeps every 3 seconds ( which in manual it says " Safety lanyard has been left on post with out starting" Also the MAINT light is on! When I hit start I hear the fuel pump going but nothing else! So I checked ALL the fuses and looked over the wiring diagrams and everything. I jumped the starter solenoid and it cranked but also created alot of sparks so i didnt want to try and get it running like this! I tested the wires going into the solenoid and one wire was 12v hot when key is in and other does nothing when key is in and when pressing start! ( So no change in Voltage when hitting start button on both wires!) Is there no voltage change because I unplugged it from the solenoid and tested the wires? Should I leave it plugged in and strip the wire and than test them? So where can I go with this??? any ideas ? Do I need to just replace the solenoid? or is there a relay before that or something else causing this??? any ideas??

One other question I found a hose that is not hooked up to anything it runs to the front right of the seadoo and connects to a small hole that goes out the front right of the boat there are 2 holes there one runs into a fuel line this other one runs into nothing?? Does this need to be hooked up to something??

Thanks for all your help!!!!

Ok So here is a update!!!!! I just replaced the Battery and complete drained all gas and oil and put in new spark plugs. I just bought this seadoo so I am not familiar with what the current problems are but here is what is basically going on. When i put on the key I here the fuel pump sucking up than I get 4 beeps every 3 seconds ( which in manual it says " Safety lanyard has been left on post with out starting" Also the MAINT light is on! When I hit start I hear the fuel pump going but nothing else! So I checked ALL the fuses and looked over the wiring diagrams and everything. I jumped the starter solenoid and it cranked but also created alot of sparks so i didnt want to try and get it running like this! I tested the wires going into the solenoid and one wire was 12v hot when key is in and other does nothing when key is in and when pressing start! ( So no change in Voltage when hitting start button on both wires!) So where can I go with this??? any ideas ? Do I need to just replace the solenoid? or is there a relay before that or something else causing this??? any ideas??

One other question I found a hose that is not hooked up to anything it runs to the front right of the seadoo and connects to a small hole that goes out the front right of the boat there are 2 holes there one runs into a fuel line this other one runs into nothing?? Does this need to be hooked up to something??

I'm gonna move this to the 2-stroke section, I think you'll get better response.

Did the ski start and run when you bought it?

Try removing the lanyard from the post for about a minute, then replace the lanyard. Sorry I don't know much about 951's or DI ski's but there are a couple of guys on the forum that do.

Lou

The hose you are talking about is probably the vent hose for a lead acid battery, if you are using a sealed battery you won't use it.

Take a picture of the hose but I'll have to say Lou is right.

As for your solenoid, the two small wires going into it are negative ground and +12v start, so if your meter isn't reading any voltage on those two when pressing the start button, you have a wiring harness problem or possibly an MPEM problem. I'd check all the harness plug pins and sockets, clean them up if need be and use dielectric grease on everything.

You've got three threads going on pretty much the same subject. Let me know which two you want me to delete.

Lou

I have merged the three thread into one, I hope it's not two confusing, I figured it's better than going between three.

You have confirmed that the ski will crank by jumping the solenoid so the starter and engine are free. As smc0922 said the two small wires going to the solenoid are a ground and a positive you can connect your meter to the plug and try pressing the start stop button with the lanyard and it should send 12v to the plug. You can also test the solenoid by removing it from the box and using jumper wires on the plug pin to a battery and it should click. Typically on these it is the solenoid that goes bad so eliminate it first and report back.

Also when you put the lanyard on it should give 2 quick beeps indicating it has accepted the lanyard.

Ok Soo today I had some progress!! And like everyday working on the SeaDoo I am learning a ton! So as fas as the lanyard. Yes I am getting 2 beeps! Its fine. Today I jumped the Starter Solenoid and started it up for the first time since owning it!!!! There are some other issues I found but more on that later... So I pulled the plug off the ECU that connects to the solenoid and the terminal on the wire 3-19 (which is the wire that gives the solenoid power) Is corroded. It is the ONLY wire on the whole ECU that has any type of rust on it!. So my plan is, is to just replace the solenoid its a 20$ part So I am not worried. Also at the solenoid, the plug, that plugs into it is also corroded.

So I will update on that issue once I replace the solenoid...

Now for more updates. When the engine was running it did not bog down stop or anything but during idle it makes a vibrating noise. Sounds like metal is vibrating against metal sounds like it could be coming from the prop system. When revving the engine up it goes away and the engine sounds great! But when on idle and certain rpm levels it makes alot of noise and it dosent sound good! I am getting a maint light on and will get it checked tomorrow and see what the code is.

Also as far as the Unknown hose issue I am pretty sure your right the length of it is perfect for it to attach to the battery so i bet thats what it is. ( just the clarify it is a small 1/4 inch hose that goes to the front of the seadoo and attaches to a drain out the side

Another issue the steering bar is not moving. It must have seized up. Any ideas on how to lube it up? Or do I need to just replace the line?

One question. Since I just started it up and I put new oil in it there is bubbles in the oil line and I cant really see the oil being sucked up? Am I being paranoid and the oil just takes a while to pull through or could this be a issue?

Any other things I should be looking into looking at before I put this baby in the water!!???

Thanks again for all your input!!!!!

The noise you are hearing is most likely normal, there's play in the drive system, it should go away when the ski is in the water and the throttle is above an idle.

The maint. light you can probably turn off yourself, I don't remember exactly how to do it, you'll need to consult the service manual.

Steering bar? Not sure what that is. Can you identify from this diagram? If you're saying the handle bar won't turn you can try lubricating the steering cable, or you might need to replace it.

http://fiche.seadoowarehouse.com/se...&b=25&c=0&d=-HANDLEBAR-ASSY.-W/-STEERING-ASSY.

You probably need to bleed the injection oil system, while you're at it replace the oil filter and replace the oil injection lines, use 3/32" Tygon gas line. The procedure for bleeding the lines is in the manual.

Lou

130psi, 120psi at lowest and should be the same psi in both holes

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

To do the compression test you just take one spark plug out at a time and than turn it over ? Also you put the spark plug wires on the the ground terminals right ?? I understand the procedure but what I Dont get is why would you want to ground the spark plug wires ??? Wouldn't that cause a short / spark in the system ???

I would remove both spark plugs, it's easier on the starter.

You need to ground both spark plug cables so you won't get a stray spark that would possibly ignite any gas fumes in the hull.

Check with a cold engine.

Lou

When you check the compression take the sparkplugs out, ground the terminals and hold the throttle wide open when cranking. You use the ground terminals for the wires because the ignition system is trying to spark and needs to discharge the spark energy to prevent damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back