Bought a 05 Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

:hurray: I'm offically a boat owner:cheers:
Let the stupid questions begin!
First off,I'm in Canada and I need goodies.After looking at prices of boats in Florida I'm sure your accessories are cheaper also.Where is the best place to buy a bimini top ,life vests,tow ropes,etc? The dealer up here is :ack:
TIA,
Lee

congrats!

Hi Lee,
I'm right there with you - new boat owner, and learning the ropes! My girlfriend and I just got an 08 speedster 150, and are having a blast so far - we were out for the second time this weekend, and are really getting the hang of launching / docking pretty quickly. We've had a lot of help from friends and the great people on here too that are so willing to share their wealth of knowledge.

Best of luck to you with the new boat! You should send some pics - is it warm enough up there yet to take it out without wet suits / freezing your butt off?

supplies

oops - forgot to answer your initial question. West Marine down here in Florida is the biggest chain that carries pretty much everything from what I've seen. I'm sure the veterans on here have other good sources, but their website may be a good starting place for you. I dont know what shipping would be to Canada, but it may be cheaper than what you're seeing there?

Craig

Thanks Wildziner, Still got ice on the lakes,I can't wait to try it out:)When the snow melts at my acreage we usually flood out the front lawn.I'm hoping for at least 12" to set the boat in:rofl:
I'll check out West marine,I found a bimini on ebay for $500 can. Will compare with US pricing and freight.
Will post pictures as soon as I find out how:banghead:

Hi Lee,
I'm right there with you - new boat owner, and learning the ropes! My girlfriend and I just got an 08 speedster 150, and are having a blast so far - we were out for the second time this weekend, and are really getting the hang of launching / docking pretty quickly. We've had a lot of help from friends and the great people on here too that are so willing to share their wealth of knowledge.

Best of luck to you with the new boat! You should send some pics - is it warm enough up there yet to take it out without wet suits / freezing your butt off?

I just bought an 08 Speedster 150 last week myself :). I too am loving it so far! The loading/unloading is the worst for me- I just can't get used to the backwards steering in reverse while pulling it off the trailer and pulling it on the trailer by myself isn't hard, but isn't the easiest- with just me in the boat, it leans enough for me to not be able to easily judge if it is centered on the trailer or not. The "dead" steering at low speeds doesn't help either, but it isn't bad.

Just takes some getting used to compared to other boats I have operated in the past.

You will find this board to be very helpful, good luck with the boat!
Joe

it is hard to get used to the reverse steering being backwards from a car, but when I get in that boat, I change my mentality, and remember something that the dealer told me that took us out for the test drive: "whether you're in forward or reverse, whatever way you turn the wheel is the direction the *nose* of the boat will go". That way, when I'm in reverse, I know I wont get screwed up. The only problem with this is when you turn around to look behind you as you're turning the wheel, you have to think about what the front of the boat is doing even though you're looking at the back. Takes some getting used to, but what a friend of mine had me do first time out was practice around channel markers. If you're willing to scratch the rail up a little (from bumping into barnacle on the post, like I did) in order to learn real good how to steer in reverse and use the forward and reverse without any throttle in order to learn how the tides and wind affect you and use them to your advantage, that's a great way. Another way is to go out on a weekday when no one's around if you can and use the dock, or throw a life preserver in the water and use that if you're on a lake.

As far as docking and launching, we are starting to push off the back of the dock (which is where we should be anyway so the next person can launch), and then fire it up once we are about 10 feet away from the dock. I am also keeping in mind that whatever way my steering wheel is turned when I start it up is how it's going to go right away.

Since docking coming back is the hardest part, I am practicing it a few times before coming in now, and "practicing" the maneuvers just to get it ingrained again after being out on open water hot dogging around . . .

I'm not an expert by any means (or even intermediate novice), but these are the things that are helping me so far.

Craig

it is hard to get used to the reverse steering being backwards from a car, but when I get in that boat, I change my mentality, and remember something that the dealer told me that took us out for the test drive: "whether you're in forward or reverse, whatever way you turn the wheel is the direction the *nose* of the boat will go". That way, when I'm in reverse, I know I wont get screwed up. The only problem with this is when you turn around to look behind you as you're turning the wheel, you have to think about what the front of the boat is doing even though you're looking at the back. Takes some getting used to, but what a friend of mine had me do first time out was practice around channel markers. If you're willing to scratch the rail up a little (from bumping into barnacle on the post, like I did) in order to learn real good how to steer in reverse and use the forward and reverse without any throttle in order to learn how the tides and wind affect you and use them to your advantage, that's a great way. Another way is to go out on a weekday when no one's around if you can and use the dock, or throw a life preserver in the water and use that if you're on a lake.

As far as docking and launching, we are starting to push off the back of the dock (which is where we should be anyway so the next person can launch), and then fire it up once we are about 10 feet away from the dock. I am also keeping in mind that whatever way my steering wheel is turned when I start it up is how it's going to go right away.

Since docking coming back is the hardest part, I am practicing it a few times before coming in now, and "practicing" the maneuvers just to get it ingrained again after being out on open water hot dogging around . . .

I'm not an expert by any means (or even intermediate novice), but these are the things that are helping me so far.

Craig

Funny thing for me is I do keep a mental note of the nose pointing wherever you turn the wheel and will get it perfect every time- when practicing lol. When in a quick reflex type of situation, I always get it wrong and turn the wrong way out of habit.

The other day loading it up, it was drifting to one direction, so I tossed it in reverse and went to back up- spun it completely around in the direction it was heading and my friend said "what the hell are you doing, you can't back it on the trailer"- pretty funny to be there lol.

Docking is tough, but I'm ok at that- just takes time and patience- trying to just pull up and dock will cause another scratch on the rail :redface:. I usually get it a couple feet away alongside it, cut the wheel to kick the rear towards the dock and shut it off- it *usually* just drifts right towards the dock. The problem with docking for me though is the boat sits lower than the docks at the lake I go to- so if you try to let it just pull up to the bumpers on the dock, it will go under and scratch the rail or boat :(. Second day out, I knocked the emblem off the nose of the boat- I pulled up nose first, shut the boat off and walked to the bow to "catch" the dock and hold the boat in place- nose went right under the edge of the dock and popped off the emblem :redface:.

Oh well, it is my first boat and my first time operating a boat in a good 20 years, so I can't expect to be a pro overnight :).

pretty funny - your friend thought you were bass ackwards! It always helps to have the support of good friends ragging ya while trying to learn huh? :rofl:

dont feel bad about the emblem - the first time we went out 2 sundays ago, leaving the dock I backed into another boats propellor that was docked on the other side that I was (the boat spun completely around like yours did) - pretty gently, so not enough to hurt his boat (thankfully) but enough to leave a little scratch in my fiberglass right under the rail.

While I'm parking the car, my girlfriend sits on the edge of the dock with her feet on the edge of the boat to keep it from going underneath. Only problem with this is she's a whopping 102 lbs, and although she's pretty muscular, I think a heavy wind would knock both the boat and her "ass-over-tea kettle" and over the other side of the dock behind her - now there's something I'd like to have on video!!

Lee, here is a link for a Bimini top for your new seadoo...I checked out the company and found it to be the best on on line. The price is cheap too. If you want they have a toll free number to call and ask questions. Good luck on the new seadoo Jet Boat. I bet you can't wait for good weather. Yes check out" www.westmarine.com " for supplies. They ship to Canada too!

Karl

Thanks for the docking tips guys,I'm sure I will be well watched with this bright yellow eye catcher.I think I will practice away from the beach first:redface:
Karl, I don't see my top on there website I'll call them tomorrow.thanks
Lee

They have different models available I asked about my 08 200 speedster and got the scoop from seadoo that they are the same for like 3 years past years on my model, same boat, no change...than, I would call them toll free and ask. You could ask you local seadoo dealer first, about the years past and see what he says about years and model applications, before you call the Bimini company, and have some homework done on compatible models.:)

Karl

Thanks for the docking tips guys,I'm sure I will be well watched with this bright yellow eye catcher.I think I will practice away from the beach first:redface:
Karl, I don't see my top on there website I'll call them tomorrow.thanks
Lee

No problem. Another thing I learned the hard way is to turn it off just prior to reaching the dock. If you leave it running in f/r, it will have obviously have too much speed so I figured I'd be good in neutral. Problem is, in neutral, it directs justenough thrust towards the sides to make you look like a fool at the dock lol. The first night out, I pulled along side the dock and we grabbed it, but the thrust pushing off the dock caused the boat to push away and rotate in the opposite direction. We let it come around and we grabbed it from the other side of the boat only for it to happen again. We went in a big "U" around the end of the dock trying to hold it in place lol

U turn

:rofl:That's hilarious,I'm definately practicing out of view:)
No problem. Another thing I learned the hard way is to turn it off just prior to reaching the dock. If you leave it running in f/r, it will have obviously have too much speed so I figured I'd be good in neutral. Problem is, in neutral, it directs justenough thrust towards the sides to make you look like a fool at the dock lol. The first night out, I pulled along side the dock and we grabbed it, but the thrust pushing off the dock caused the boat to push away and rotate in the opposite direction. We let it come around and we grabbed it from the other side of the boat only for it to happen again. We went in a big "U" around the end of the dock trying to hold it in place lol

Hi, all. We're new too. Just bought our '05 Sportster a week ago. Haven't been able to take it out yet. Kept having problems, but think we found the solution. Anyways, how do you like the ride? My wife and I can't wait to take it for a spin. The wife wants to learn how to hydroslide and wakeboard...oughtta do pretty well with this boat huh? Well hopefully it'll be fixed tomorrow so that we can take it out on Saturday.

Good luck with your sportster and have fun with it!

PS: What's your HP?

pulling weight

I'm curious myself as to how much a skier or wakeboarder will pull the boat around. We have a 215hp, but I'm thinking about the weight of the boat more than anything. I'm definitely going to get into that in the next few months, and I'll let you know how ours does with it. We're going to start out with tubing the kids around first, then evolve into skiing and boarding.

As far as the ride goes, we're loving it so far - it's pretty fast, but we're not pushing it much since it's still in the break-in period (4 hrs so far). I've only had WOT once for about 20 seconds, and got it up to 56mph with me and gf in the boat (260lbs total).

I'm sure you'll have a blast with it once it gets fixed! Good luck with the coils, hope you can get on the water finally . . . although that is exactly why I took the plunge and spent more money for a brand new boat!!

Hp

Welcome Chad,Mines the 155hp model.Taking it on it's maiden voyage Sat.Ice just thawed on the lake:chillpill:
Don't plan to do any towing this time but I'll certainally put it through the paces:biggrinjester::reddevil:

I'm curious myself as to how much a skier or wakeboarder will pull the boat around. We have a 215hp, but I'm thinking about the weight of the boat more than anything. I'm definitely going to get into that in the next few months, and I'll let you know how ours does with it. We're going to start out with tubing the kids around first, then evolve into skiing and boarding.

As far as the ride goes, we're loving it so far - it's pretty fast, but we're not pushing it much since it's still in the break-in period (4 hrs so far). I've only had WOT once for about 20 seconds, and got it up to 56mph with me and gf in the boat (260lbs total).

I'm sure you'll have a blast with it once it gets fixed! Good luck with the coils, hope you can get on the water finally . . . although that is exactly why I took the plunge and spent more money for a brand new boat!!

56? I wonder how much the speedometers vary from boat to boat. Mine hit a max of 52 with just me (175lbs) and about 5-6 hours on it. Not doubting your claim at all, just wondering where the difference is. I'm sure it is in the speedometer more than anything. What is the water like where you were running it? The lake I was on had about 8" waves, so I'm sure some speed was lost skimming across them too.

Welcome Chad,Mines the 155hp model.Taking it on it's maiden voyage Sat.Ice just thawed on the lake:chillpill:
Don't plan to do any towing this time but I'll certainally put it through the paces:biggrinjester::reddevil:

Good luck with it- HAVE FUN!!! We got ours on an 80 degree day 2 weeks ago and had a couple 70-80 degree days to run it, now it is in the 50's again and rainy :(. Cant wait to get back out on the water with it!!

Heck I got mine in january...it been sunny and warm everyday since then...it's 89*f here today...water temp is 81*f

Karl

Well you would think that since they have a wake tower as an optional accessory, then it should be able to pull a skier or wakeboarder farely well. Ours too is the 215hp. And with the mechanic playing with it a bit in the water, its come some power! Nearly flipped us out of the boat when he revved it up, cause we were tied to the dock, the boat wanted to go somewhere, LOL! Well, if we can get it running by Saturday, I'll let you know how it does wakeboarding.

We couldn't buy brand new. We weren't even looking. We actually have our old boat for sale right now. We've bought so many toys in the past year, my wife told me I couldn't buy anymore. But then we ran across this one at such a great price, even the wife couldn't pass it up! Now we just need to get the thing running!

Heck I got mine in january...it been sunny and warm everyday since then...it's 89*f here today...water temp is 81*f

Karl

Damn you :D. I miss FL!!! Water temp last time out was a balmy 57* haha. My friends brother in law was wake boarding in that crap- to hell with that!!

Cover The Pool!

Damn you :D. I miss FL!!! Water temp last time out was a balmy 57* haha. My friends brother in law was wake boarding in that crap- to hell with that!!

Heck, if the swimming pool temp.falls below 86*f it's too cold ...we cover it !:ack:

Speeeeeeeeeeeedster

56? I wonder how much the speedometers vary from boat to boat. Mine hit a max of 52 with just me (175lbs) and about 5-6 hours on it. Not doubting your claim at all, just wondering where the difference is. I'm sure it is in the speedometer more than anything. What is the water like where you were running it? The lake I was on had about 8" waves, so I'm sure some speed was lost skimming across them too.

We have 4 hrs on it (I wouldnt think that matters at all), and were running on a pretty smooth lake - there was some chop, dont remember if it was rough enough for 8" waves, but maybe 4" - 6"??. I'm no expert, but I would think air temperature, wind, water tempature, and engine temperature all play a part too - and I have no doubt that speedometers can vary 4mph from day to day or each other. Heck, my weight varies that much sometimes from morning to night!!

p.s. - I know what it's like up there in PA, I moved down here from Cleveland 3 years ago, and have lots of relatives in the Pittsburgh area. You guys may still have another snow fall before summer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back