Bombardier 1994 Seadoo Explorer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff99

Hi, I am hoping someone can help me. My seadoo worked trouble free for 3 years when I bought it used. Out on the lake one day the engine just went slugginsh as if the water intake was clogged. We stopped the seadoo and checked the water intake and it was clear, when we tried to start it, it turned over sluggishly and would not start. I took it to Snow City Cycle in Toronto and over the next 3 seasons they changed everything but the crank shaft. New battery, starter motor, stator, re-bored the heads, new pistons, carburetor I was told was fine but still changed all the filters, diagram, & gaskets. They replaced the computer to test it found the same problem so re-installed my original compluter. To date the same problem $2000 later they have given up on it and told me there is nothing else they can do. It starts first turn and gets up on plane but after 10 minutes the engine bogs down again and I have to troll back to shore. I am hoping that someone has come across this type of issue and can help me. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

The coil might be bad. They have been known to heat up and then start acting up.

If not that then I think the issue would be in the fuel delivery. Perhaps the tank vent is not letting air in, try loosening the fuel cap the next time it happens to test.

I would also be suspect of the fuel valve if it has not been replaced recently. Make sure your filter/water separator has it's O-ring in the groove up top.

The coil might be bad. They have been known to heat up and then start acting up.

If not that then I think the issue would be in the fuel delivery. Perhaps the tank vent is not letting air in, try loosening the fuel cap the next time it happens to test.

I would also be suspect of the fuel valve if it has not been replaced recently. Make sure your filter/water separator has it's O-ring in the groove up top.

Hi Matt.
Thank you for your re[ly, I did not mention it in my first request but the engine is a 2 stroke so there is no coil as it is run off the stator. I was suspecting the fuel delivery and was planning to add an in-line fuel pump to by-pass the diaphragm in the carburettor which I replaced myself along with the in-line fuel filters gaskets and seals. I am not sure though if placing an in-line fuel pump create more problems by supplying to much fuel.

I will check the filter/water separator. Thank you for your response.

PS. this is the first time I am using the forum so I hope I am responding correctly. Thanks again.

Yes, there is an ignition coil, follow the spark plug wires to the plastic box where the ignition coil(s) are.

MATT may be correct with either suggestion.

When ignition coil failure occurs, one cylinder drops out and that spark plug electrode insulator will sometimes be a darker color as a result of an ignition miss. This may help confirm.

Invest in a cylinder compression gauge and use it to confirm engine condition b/c if one cylinder is roasted, you'll be wasting time and money chasing ghosts. Also, the importance of using a factory service manual as reference for your engine model cannot be overstated.

Thank you for your info, The cylinder compression at the time of developing the problem were both good and within 2 points of each other according to the mechanic. I had them re-board and new pistons but because of the problem the re-built engine has not had 2 hours of run time. I have a manual but it is not the exact model as the Seadoo Explorer so there are some subtle differences. Based on yours and Matt's advice I am now suspecting the fuel delivery system. I will look at that first by by-passing the existing system using an independent pre-mixed fuel supply and should it continue I will check the coils. I suspect the coils are fine otherwise they would have had me change them just to get more money out of me. If the fuel by-pass does not work then the coils are the only thing left that has not been changed. Thank you both for your help and advice. I will let you know if it works though it might be next year now.

Best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back