Boat stopped while running - 2011 SeaDoo Challenger 180

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

muratkocak

Hello, yesterday our 2011 Challenger 180 just halted while cruising about 24 miles/hr. First it lost speed and then came back to regular run, and then a minute later it came to complete stop. There was some steam (or maybe smoke) right when it stopped. Battery is OK. I checked the impeller underneath, nothing seems to be there. I checked from the back, nothing seems to be there either. Battery is OK, for voltage and cranking power. When I press start button it feels as if it wants to crank but it won’t. Any ideas what it may be?

It may very well be siezed. You can try removing spark plugs and see if the motor cranks. If it doesn't, you may have to have it rebuilt.

It may very well be siezed. You can try removing spark plugs and see if the motor cranks. If it doesn't, you may have to have it rebuilt.

Thank you for your reply. I will take it to my local guy to diagnose. I changed the spark plugs, but I did not try while they were removed. To see if the solenoid is functioning or not, I bypassed it with a wrench. It does the same thing. The starter makes a one quick attempt, for a second or less, and that's all. Do you think it may be the starter? Forgot to mention I also changed the relay, so it's not the relay, and it's not the solenoid. When you say it may be seized, you're referring to the starter, correct? Thanks again.

This sounds VERY similar to what happened to me. I was hoping it was my starter too. (It wasn't) You said the boat stopped running on you, correct? I am thinking that the engine is seized. I hope it is just the starter. If the starter is good, then....you are most likely going to need a rebuild on the engine.

This sounds VERY similar to what happened to me. I was hoping it was my starter too. (It wasn't) You said the boat stopped running on you, correct? I am thinking that the engine is seized. I hope it is just the starter. If the starter is good, then....you are most likely going to need a rebuild on the engine.

Did you have to rebuild the engine? If you did, do you remember how much did that cost?

Did you have to rebuild the engine? If you did, do you remember how much did that cost?

I paid someone in the Orlando area to do it for me. He didn't do the best job and it still cost me $2800. It took a couple months to get the boat back too. I really hope that you don't need a rebuild and it is something simple.

This sound exactly like what happened to me last weekend, although it was after sucking up debris and having to be towed. hit the start button and it sounds like the engine is turning over only once then nothing? i had water in the engine. take the spark plugs off and look down the whole, if there is water, you need to get it out ASAP. with the spark plugs out, crank the engine for a frew seconds at a time (not more than 5 seconds then about 30 seconds off). repeat until most of the water is out and all you see is a consistent mist (fuel). i also used a compressor and shot air in each cylinder to get as much water out. dry and clean the spark plugs (compressed air) and then put plugs back in and try to start. you may have to do this a couple of times. also, check the oil to see if any water got in there, if it did, it will look like chocolate milk. if oil is good and you get the motor started, take it out and drive it hard for a good while to get any remainng moisture out. if oil is also contaminated, change the oil (you may have to change oil mulitiple times to get all the water out). Best of luck, it's a little scary when you see water in the engine, but if no other major issues with the engine, you will be fine, but time is a big factor.

Start by pulling the jet pump out and make sure it.s OK. The pump could be seized.

Chester

Does it have a supercharger check it out remove supercharger and inspect the supercharger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back