Bilge pump problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

100dollarbill

96 speedster with Rule 500 gph bilge pump. Does the pump have a one way check valve?
The pump works fine but the problem is if the outlet is below the water line water gushes in as fast as it was pumped out. Today I went to the boat and the engines were under water, up over the carbs. I had left the battery disconnected so it couldn't pump anything out.
Anyway, do I have a bad pump or can water flow both ways?

No, are you sure it is coming from the pump and not from one of the other thru hull fittings? I would try a loop in the hose because a check valve may clog

It's definitely coming out the pump. I held the pump in my hand and when I held it down toward the bottom of the boat it flowed out like it was a hose.
There is not enough hose to loop it, I'll add more. It's 3/4 i.d. right? So I don't need a new bilge pump?

We bailed all the water out of the hull. Removed spark plugs and cranked them to shoot the water out. Put some oil down the cylinders. Blew the oil out of the rotary valve and replaced it (oil injection had been removed- running premix). Starboard engine started and ran. Port really wanted to, fired a couple times but wouldn't run (yet).

I think 3/4 is right, they have it at wallmart. Deff get that motor to fire and go flog the hell out of it get all that water out, then change the oil on the balance shaft (cant remember if the 717 has one) and flog it some more.

OK, rerouted bilge hose. There was a loop but it was too small, it wrapped around the exhaust hose. I tied it up higher and all is good.

found this never knew about the little hole
that is required to prevent siphoning , highlighted paragraphbilge.JPG

also make sure no part of the hose is lower than the pump. It's hard to have that happen but if you do, you will get an airlock and it won't pump out water when you need it to.

It's definitely coming out the pump. I held the pump in my hand and when I held it down toward the bottom of the boat it flowed out like it was a hose.
There is not enough hose to loop it, I'll add more. It's 3/4 i.d. right? So I don't need a new bilge pump?

We bailed all the water out of the hull. Removed spark plugs and cranked them to shoot the water out. Put some oil down the cylinders. Blew the oil out of the rotary valve and replaced it (oil injection had been removed- running premix). Starboard engine started and ran. Port really wanted to, fired a couple times but wouldn't run (yet).

Hopefully you got the port motor started - any water left inside there will begin to rust stuff nearly immediately - Bring extra batteries if you have to, but do your best to get that motor running ASAP to coat everything in oil again!

Yeah, we got the port motor started but they are both not running great. Bogging and dying. Ordered carb rebuild kits for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back