Big chunk of magnet found wedged next to flywheel. Broken Flywheel or Stator?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Martin

Premium Member
Premium Member
So I went to start my boat tonight only to have this grinding noise when the starter was engaged. Upon closer inspection I found a chuck of magnet wedged on the side of my flywheel. :redface:

The chuck is roughly 2 inches wide and about 1.5 inches tall. Needless to say I'll be pulling off the flywheel this weekend to take a closer look. Any ideas if this is a broken piece from the Flywheel or from the stator (I haven't seen a stator on a 240 EFI unit yet, so I'm not sure exactly how big it is).

Lastly how difficult is it to replace the flywheel and if needed stator? This is a 2000 240EFI Merc engine off an Islandia.

Broken.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

So when I removed the flywheel, the magnets were all destroyed on the inside of the flywheel. The stator looked good, and all the wiring leading to the stator etc.. I then replaced the Flywheel with a new one, but now when I turn over the motor I get no spark. Wondering what to check next. Any ideals?

Chances are the stator is gone. Check it with a meter... but it doesn't take much of an impact to short out the coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back