Beginning 98 XP Limited Project Rebuild

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

951ROCKET

Hey everybody,

Just bought a fairly good condition 98 XP Limited Seadoo. Got a great price on it with a brand new Triton aluminum trailer. Just wondering if you guys would be able to give me some direction on this project, the XP hull is in great condition, however does not run, checked compression on both cylinders and got 120 on both. Im expecting to rebuild the motor already, installing all new gaskets, bearings, pistons, fuel/oil lines and a vts motor (not looking foreward to that). Can you guys give me any direction on where to start? Lookin at buying a platinum rebuild kit off ebay as well as a carb rebuild kit. I have a brand new battery fort it as well. let me know what you guys think! ill post pics of the entire project to help others doing the same. Never rebuilt a motor before but im a tool and die maker and very handy!

Cheers
Tim

100_5577.JPG
$T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEjMRBQP2Spt7Lg~~48_20.jpg
$(KGrHqJ,!owF!G((kJBbBQP2S5W+wg~~48_20.jpg
$(KGrHqV,!nkF!HISVZK7BQP2THjq!Q~~48_20.jpg

Welcome Rocket!

Your ski looks almost new! I know enough just to be dangerous, lol.

First thing, are fuel lines grey? If so change ASAP. If they are grey, you will probably need a good carb cleaning or possible carb rebuild.

If you are lucky this may go far in fixing your problem.

The fact that you have compression is a good sign in that you probably aren't looking at a new engine, but maybe a top end rebuild.

Others that are far more knowledgeable will chime in soon, so good luck dude!

Thanks for the advise Chilmonty! Yes the fuel lines are the grey ones. Havent touched anything yet, the machine came from a dealer that got it in North Carolina, so I dont know the history of it, but after going through the motor in detail everything looks really good! Contimplating a rebuild, getting the new battery tomorow, plugs are in but im scared to try to fire it up for fear of causing damage, theres no oil or gas in it either. not sure weather to add oil and fuel and try it or just start the tear down.

Thanks for the advise Chilmonty! Yes the fuel lines are the grey ones. Havent touched anything yet, the machine came from a dealer that got it in North Carolina, so I dont know the history of it, but after going through the motor in detail everything looks really good! Contimplating a rebuild, getting the new battery tomorow, plugs are in but im scared to try to fire it up for fear of causing damage, theres no oil or gas in it either. not sure weather to add oil and fuel and try it or just start the tear down.

I would start with the basics but the 951 engine compression is 135 so 120 is not so bad.
Change fuel lines and go through carbs before anything else.
No reason to cook a perfectly good motor.

Make sure gas tank is clean and use approved seadoo API-TC oil to keep engine healthy.

You can use a frame G2 inline fuel filter too.

Wouldn't hurt to remove pump and look at impeller and wear ring. While your there inspect bearings in pump and change gear oil.

Then go water test

Sounds good,

Thanks for your help, fuel lines and a carb check are definetly in order. What plugs should I use on this ski?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back