Beginner looking for guidance and help

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bingcounty

Hello all. I’m pretty new to PWC ownership I purchased a 98 xp limited last summer and am looking to purchase another older Sea-Doo this summer as well. I prefer the older skis and don’t have a ton of money to spend on a newer model. Looking to get something around 95-98 2 or 3 person. Which of these would have automatic oil injection (I think that’s what it’s called)? I don’t want to have to mix oil and gas although I know with a lot of these older ones you have to. I also prefer the older 2 stroke models because I’ve heard they are easier to do maintenance on them yourself. Any help on small tips and fixes I can do to the jet ski myself that wouldn’t require a lot of mechanical knowledge. Like I said I’m new to this and not the most knowledgeable when it comes to fixing things. Any help, diagrams, videos, or whatever would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

What are you looking for that the XPL doesn't give you? The first thing that comes to mind is the 96 and up GTX for a 3 seater and the GSX or RX for 2 seater. If more stability isn't what you're after then I would get a 95 xp800 or a 96 xp or a 97-99 spx. All of these are available with the same motor that is in your XPL except the last 3 so that can be a plus but the 787 is more forgiving to the owner and less picky. Both take the same oil etc and are oil injection.

The xpl is great no complaints so far just looking for one that I could ride on with a second person comfortably and with more stability. I was looking at a 95 gtx but wasn’t sure if it had oil injection. Appreciate the info and advice.

They ALL have oil injection, if your XPL doesn't somebody took it off. Nothing wrong with a 95 GTX but since you already have a XPL you would be disappointed with a GTX older than 96. 2 totally different skis

Mine does have it. Does every Sea-Doo past a certain year have that? What differences would be expected? Speed, stability, etc.?

All 2 strokes have it unless it was removed(if you haven't don't the mantaince to the xp yet you should). The 96 GTX is wayyyyy faster, more stable and more comfortable than the 95, cuts harder and pulls stuff better. In 98 the GTX got the same motor as your xp and is the same hull as 96/97 with 20 extra ponies and a slightly larger jet pump. There is also the 97 and up GTi that has the 717 motor and is the same hull as the 96 up GTXs but with 85hp vs 110 or 130

Keep in mind the 951 that you have is the least reliable 2 stroke seadoo made but also the fastest. I would suggest a 1996-1997 GTX 3-seater or 1996-1997 GSX 2-seater as a super reliable and fun second ski as snikwad said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back