Been a bumpy start

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

NolasJoe

Hello all,

I was asked to purchase 2 skis from my brother in law as he was passing away. I always wanted one, so I jumped in since they were supposed to be "lake ready". (1995 & 1996 SPX's)

Well they sat outside for almost a year, more than a year, who knows and today it's 118 outside for reference, so I expected some issues. I put them in the water last fall, and neither one would stay running with any throttle input. The 96 began running ok after cycling the fuel switch a few times, the 95 was a no go.

Over the winter I rebuilt the carbs and replaced all the fuel lines, filter, and oiler lines on the 95 and on first test it ran like a champ.

The 96 was where the the 95 was last year, dies off idle. So I rebuilt the carbs (saw a possibly unfix-able problem in one carb), changed the lines, new fuel switch and it ran good up to half throttle where the power just went flat, and had no steering at speed. That was 2 weeks ago. My research led me to thinking I need to rebuild the jet pump, at least a wear ring.

Against my better judgment my wife insisted on taking out the skis last weekend. The 96 has nothing off idle, at times sounds like a bunch of rocks are flying around in the pump, and will die with any throttle input. I wanted to order my parts before I pulled the pump, and am torn on whether I need a pump shaft. I am guessing I am hearing the results of bad bearings and the binding under load is what is causing the engine to die. Thoughts?

Fuel selectors go bad often when they had Grey Tempo lines. Replace or bypass them for now.

Did you use OEM gaskets? Did you replace the pop-off spring tht came with the kit?

I did replace all the lines and the fuel selector. I always try to find OEM parts, and have been lucky so far. I honestly cant remember about the rebuild. I kept the old parts just in case though. I am planning to pull the jet pump when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back