Battery

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mada500

Looking for some advice. I have a 2009 sportster 155 that needs a battery. I can’t seem to find a lot of consistent advice for the type of battery. Some say deep cycle, others marine, and others marine/deep cycle. Just wondering what the right one is? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I prefer a combination starting/deep cycle marine battery. You'll want the deep cycle part for running lights, stereo, and other accessories when the engine is not running, and the starting amps to get the engine running!

Looking for some advice. I have a 2009 sportster 155 that needs a battery. I can’t seem to find a lot of consistent advice for the type of battery. Some say deep cycle, others marine, and others marine/deep cycle. Just wondering what the right one is? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I agree with 10forty2, The best battery is 2 batteries, especially if you plan to run the stereo for any length of time and still get back home. I have used the Blue Seas- Mini Add a Battery System Plus to add a secondary deep cell battery for the stereo and other accessories if needed. The system will manage the charging of both batteries and allow for easy connection to AC power for charging either at home or at the marina.

Thanks so much. So is there a difference between starting/marine/deep cycle and marine deep cycle? We never really run stereo or anything with engine off as we are on a small pond up east. Main drain will be a lot of starting as tubers get in and out.

Deep cycle batteries have thick plates and can be discharged down to 80 percent (deep cycled) time after time without causing damage, but are not as good at releasing that energy to start a motor compared to a starting battery. In contrast, starter batteries deliver short, high-current bursts to crank an engine, meaning they frequently discharge only a small part of their capacity.

Marine batteries may be starting batteries, dual-purpose batteries or deep cycle batteries. They are usually a hybrid of starting and deep cycle batteries, with lead sponge plates that are coarser and heavier than starting battery plates but not as thick as true deep cycle battery plates.

A starting battery is fine for an inboard or outboard marine engine, but if you need to power a trolling motor, go for a deep cycle battery.

If you only have 1 battery, then I'd go with a starting battery or dual purpose. A 2 battery set-up is ideal with a starting battery for starting the motor and the deep cycle for running electronics such as stereos, accessories and trolling motors.

Hey All, I’m new to this forum but I’m also adding a second Battery to a 2010 speedster in conjunction with the Blue Sea mini add a battery plus! Just curious if anyone here can answer my question...the speedster has 3 fuse boxes and it seems Fuse box 1 is set up for the accessories, should I move this box to my house(2nd battery)? If so is there much involved with doing so?

Thanks

Hey All, I’m new to this forum but I’m also adding a second Battery to a 2010 speedster in conjunction with the Blue Sea mini add a battery plus! Just curious if anyone here can answer my question...the speedster has 3 fuse boxes and it seems Fuse box 1 is set up for the accessories, should I move this box to my house(2nd battery)? If so is there much involved with doing so?

Thanks

I bought the Blue Sea kit as well as a 12-position fuse panel, and my intention was to do exactly what you reference.....put the house accessories (lights, gauges, stereo, amp, etc.) onto a deep-cycle battery and only have the starting battery for starting the engines. I'm in the process of deciding if I'm going to sell the boat or keep it another season. If I decide to keep it, I'll install the kit and move the electronics as described. If you move the entire accessory fuse block onto the new house battery, it shouldn't be much more than connecting the positive cable from the fuse block to the Blue Sea switch on the house battery terminal.

I bought the Blue Sea kit as well as a 12-position fuse panel, and my intention was to do exactly what you reference.....put the house accessories (lights, gauges, stereo, amp, etc.) onto a deep-cycle battery and only have the starting battery for starting the engines. I'm in the process of deciding if I'm going to sell the boat or keep it another season. If I decide to keep it, I'll install the kit and move the electronics as described. If you move the entire accessory fuse block onto the new house battery, it shouldn't be much more than connecting the positive cable from the fuse block to the Blue Sea switch on the house battery terminal.
Awesome thanks 10forty2, keep me posted if you proceed and I’ll let you know how I make out as well.....in the mean time have you ever removed the seats in yours? Curious because that’s what I’m about to do and wondering if there are any bolts that got to come off first

Tks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back