Battery quick disconnects?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used a battery quick connect? Im looking to make battery removal easier and so I'm less likely to lose a little screw. I'm wondering if they might come undone with the vibrations or if they limit the voltage at all? Any insight or recommendations would be appreciated.

I typically take a small piece of primer tubing and put it under the battery nuts. This keeps them in place and I haven't lost one since.

Has anyone used a battery quick connect? Im looking to make battery removal easier and so I'm less likely to lose a little screw. I'm wondering if they might come undone with the vibrations or if they limit the voltage at all? Any insight or recommendations would be appreciated.
I agree, I think quick disconnects are necessary. Sure, it's two bolts, but they are tiny and if you drop them they are gone until you pull the motor again. Are there any quick disconnects produced somewhere?

Theres only 2 screws on the battery.. is it really that hard to not lose them?
Hell yes! It's a huge pita, and I've even destroyed the soft lead battery terminals removing and installing them. Quick disconnects are a great idea, but I've had trouble with them in the past. My ski came with one from the PO. It was the one with the grey rectangle connector. It ended up being the culprit to my random no-start condition. It was not providing enough current for the starter. Whatever you go with, make sure it's super beefy.

Oreillys sells agms for less than $80. Etx16L. Last one i replaced had date code from 2011. Replaced it last year before my ocean vacation. It was still good. Just didnt want to deal with it on vacation if it went bad

Ive used the oreillys not duralast from auto zone. If i remember it was 1 year free replacement then prorated after that.

Honestly I don't see your problem, after 25 years of replacing batteries on these things I think I have lost 1 screw. Use some hose under the nuts to keep them in place and all is good. I typically get 5 years out of the standard flooded batteries and take them out after every ride to put them on a battery tender. A 10mm deep socket and a 1/4" drive ratchet and I can have it out in under a minute. The key to keeping the bolts is to insert them into the nuts a couple turns and only take them out to connect or disconnect the cables. I don't remove the bolt until the cable is ready to be connected and put it back in as soon as the cable is off.

I used permatex to hold the nut in place. Now, I don't have to worry about it falling out...instead, I now drop the screw and have to search for that. Screwed either way I guess...

Take the battery out each ride?! That is such a huge pain in the ass on an X4. Reaching that rear bolt is hell, then lifting it out the rear is just an awkward struggle.
I did hear great things about Yuasa batteries though, my uncle swears by them, and he's an old sea dog who's been around the block. I use AGM if I'm not in a hurry, but those wal mart batteries tend to last at least 2 seasons for me, and are always readily available.

Take the battery out each ride?! That is such a huge pain in the ass on an X4. Reaching that rear bolt is hell, then lifting it out the rear is just an awkward struggle.
I did hear great things about Yuasa batteries though, my uncle swears by them, and he's an old sea dog who's been around the block. I use AGM if I'm not in a hurry, but those wal mart batteries tend to last at least 2 seasons for me, and are always readily available.

Yes, batteries come out of every watercraft after every ride if it is sitting more than a week. I can do it in my sleep on any ski I own. They then go on battery tenders. I typically get 5 years on the flooded yuasa’s. My boat batteries are original Optima Blue Tops from 2006 and are still working somehow [emoji15].

Yes, batteries come out of every watercraft after every ride if it is sitting more than a week. I can do it in my sleep on any ski I own. They then go on battery tenders. I typically get 5 years on the flooded yuasa’s. My boat batteries are original Optima Blue Tops from 2006 and are still working somehow [emoji15].
That's some serious dedication right there! Any reason why you shouldn't hook the battery tenders right to the battery while it's hooked up? Or do you have a multi-battery rig for all of them setup on a bench?

There is some speculation that it could harm the MPEM but the Battery Tenders are pretty safe.
For me it is more convenient since I have so many batteries I just keep them under the workbench and rotate my two tenders through them every couple weeks. My skis are scattered everywhere so it would be an extension cord nightmare to go to every ski.

What battery tenders do you use ? I hear that some can cook a battery. I have a couple of cheap Harbor Freight ones that a friend gave me. I have never hooked them up to anything when I am not around the shop. I don't use them much at all as I have a good charger that I prefer. I also have a battery disconnect on two skis and will probably add one to the other ski soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back