Battery Problems? Just need guidance

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdbst

I am going on my second year of owning some pre-owned PWC's and at this point I have had nothing but problems. Right now the main problem keeping them out of the water is a 12 Volt low sign with my '96 GSX. I don't know if this is a rectifier or a battery. I wouldn't be surprised if I needed a new battery but I don't know how to check if it would be the rectifier. Many input would be greatly appreciated!

Does the engine start and run, does the 12 volt low occur while the engine is running or not running?

I think the 12 volt low signal should be ignored if it happens when the engine isn't running.

If your battery is two years old I suspect it's probably no longer able to crank your engine. Unless that is, if it's a fancy AGM battery, this type seems to last longer.

If you do, Get a battery that can put out 300 CCA at least.

Put a multimeter on the battery and see what it gives you for DC volts while its running VS when its not.

Its either the stator or the regulator or wiring that is bad.
Battery, Maybe if its really bad but usually those batteries have a hard time starting the machine.

Thanks for the advice! My PWC experience has not been the greatest and has mostly been frustration from bringing them to the shop and never getting the full experience. I mostly wanna know what I could do at home and what is over my head in terms of fixes.

It will usually start up but I always get nervous because it's not a guaranteed thing. The 12 Volt low warning may turn off at some point during the ride but it mostly stays on the whole time.

I usually need to leave the battery on a maintainer when I'm not using them otherwise it loses its charge. I thought the battery was bad just because I really don't know how old it is.

How would I be able to check the stator or the wiring? What should the volt meter read while running and while not?

On that thing, if you can't leave your battery on there for at least 2 weeks without having to charge it and still have more than enough juice to start the engine 4-10 times in a row, I'd say your battery is a big problem.

But for the testing here you go:

1 battery voltage at rest is 12.7 -13.00 V depending on if you have a good GEL or normal flooded battery. Lower is not good.
2 While running you should get 13.5-1400V

3 to test the stator you want to test for resistance between the 3 yellow wires in any combination. It should be about 0.7 ohms and there should be no continuity to ground.

If the stator test's good and the battery is good but your not getting the right voltage at the battery while running, chances are the regulator is the problem or the wiring.

If you ever try and boost one of these with anything that puts out more than 14.4 Volts it usually fries the regulator.

On mine I first had a cheap battery that I had to boost every time I started it the first time of the day.
But the 12v warning was always on for the first few minutes and then went away when I started reving it higher.

Last edited by a moderator:
First step would be getting a good battery. Go with a Yuasa, Napa GS or Interstate. Stay away from the off brands and especially the Walmart Everstarts. I have a standard Napa flooded GS battery that came with a used ski 3 years ago and it is still going strong but I do put it on a battery tender whenever it is not in the ski. It is cheaper to go good when you figure a cheapo Everstart is $65 and you replace it every year or a $75 Napa and a $75 battery tender and have it for 4 years or more.

lol Neverstart... yeah that crap was in both of mine when I first got them.

YTX20HL-BS Is a solid battery. More than enough CCA at 310 and I can leave it for 2-3 weeks in the machine without a problem and easily crank for a long time if necessary.

A friend of mine bought 2 Neverstarts and installed two new SBT engines in his skis. For 6 months he could not get the 1997 XP with new engine to crank with the spark plugs in and tried everything from replacing starters to making all new battery cables and every time it would only crank with plugs out. I kept telling him to try a different battery and he kept saying no because the batteries were brand new. Long story short he finally tried a name brand battery and it fired up instantly and has been rock solid for 2 years now. So now he has 4 batteries and 2 of them are neverstarts collecting dust.

I will agree the small neverstart is lucky to make it through the first season if it's a good one(some just aren't good from the beginning) but I put an oversized neverstart in my ski (when still I had it) that was larger and made for a riding lawnmower and that one lasted several years till I sold the ski.

FWIW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back