Battery not charging

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack185

Good morning to all, sorry I am very new to this forum thing. but I have a 2002 seadoo bombardier gtx 4tex, that has been beating me up. I consider mechanically inclined lol, but I feel I am missing something here, we have changed the stator, rectifier and new battery, but still not charging. The instrument cluster is broken so no display or rpm's, however the craft still starts and runs, just no charge. is there a chance the instrument cluster has something to do with it? or possibly the starter relay box? I had noticed there wasn't a second 30 amp fuse in relay holder( which was very corroded) installed that but no change. Please help with any thoughts, Thank you in advance for any or all help

I had the same issue way back with a motorcycle, it turned out to be a corroded wire going to the main charging fuse. Get yourself a wiring diagram and and service manual for your ski. There is at least ten pages there on how to trouble shoot the charging system including a flow chart.

I consider mechanically inclined lol.

Ahhh, but are you electrically inclined?

To answer you question about the dead information center ... no, it can't cause a charging system fault because it's not in the charging circuit. on the 2002 ski, there are four wires from the MPEM to the information center: Power, ground, and two comm circuit wires.

Perform a voltage drop test. Yes, corrosion can cause voltage drops. Measure regulator/rectifier output voltage at pin 4 on the starter relay (blue arrow) by back probing with a T-pin (make sure you don't ground out the T-Pin when you do this!) Then measure the voltage at one of the two points highlighted by the green arrows (either will work because you are measuring to see if they is any voltage drop across the corroded fuse.) The voltage should be the same. If the voltage is lower, you might need a contact cleaning kit like this one (see link below) and some Deoxit spray. Pin 3 out of the starter relay (red wire) is the input power for the MPEM. It is possible you information center is malfunctioning because the MPEM doesn't have sufficient voltage.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7K1T8S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000YH6F8?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

2002 4_Tec Charging.JPG

Detailed testing procedures are on page 11-02-1 in the shop manual.

Seadoomanuals.net

Remember the output of the stator (prior to the regulator/rectifier) is 25VAC (not DC) at 3500 RPM. Make sure you set your multimeter accordingly.

Last edited:
Thank you for the input, and yes I have a problem typing lol, a. It electrically inclined as I will try this this week and write back, thank you for your advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back