Battery life and replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

sschnei

Previous owner put in a new battery mid-summer last year, so we could test drive. So it's ~9 months old now. Battery sat over the winter in the ski and has a very low voltage 0.7A. Connected to a battery charger at a slow charge rate over night and voltage has only increased to around 3.0 volts. Is there any way to revive it or are we looking at replacement? If so what type is recommended? The one we have now is a Yuasa, no lead type.

What's the typical life of these batteries?

Thank you

These batteries are SUPER sensitive and cannot be let go like that. at $80 a pop you got to take care of them.

Before you buy another one, go to denniskirk.com and buy a Optimate 4 charger. It has a micro processor that will sense the ultra low voltage (which usually causes sulfating) and will go into a mode to de-sulfate it. then it will charge it and tell you the condition at the end.

I bought one last fall b/c I had a stack of batteries my tender wouldnt attempt to charge, and it revived a bunch of them. Best $70 I have spent.

First... is it a good battery brand?? (Optima, Panasonic, Die-Hard, Yuasa) If it is... it can be covered under warranty... but, if you hook it to a desulfating charger, it will probably come back to life. Speaking of chargers... what was the amp rating of the charger? If you are trying to bring a dead battery back to life with a "Tender"... it will take a long time. (i.e. a 1 amp charger would take 20 to 24 hr's to bring it back up)

If.... you have an off brand battery... kiss it good by. Every year, I get people coming into my shop because their ski or bike won't run... and they "Just put in a new battery at the end of last season."

I have seen Wal-Mart, Chief Auto, Advance Auto, and Interstate batteries be bad out of the box (won't take a charge from new) or they die in the first 3 months.

So... what kind of battery is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I have had good luck with cheapo batteries, but I also take care of them with a good charger, and keep them inside all winter.

My brother just bought a battery at batteries plus and they have stepped up their PWC line too.

It is a Yuasa battery.

I have a microprocessor battery charger with three different charging level and three different battery types. Sounds good right? Reviewing the technical specs it doesn't say anything about a "desulfating mode", but it "sounds like it's sending charging pulses during the charging process. It appears to be charging momentarily then is off. I think it's may be desulfating as the voltage went from 0.7 to 3.0 volts overnight.

Good to know about the importance maintaining these batteries, I'll be the first to admit I don't do a good job of taking care of my boat battery over the winter. In my experience the larger automotive/marine batteries seem to be a little more tolerant.

Great information...thank you.

I love the new sealed batteries, but you need to take care of them I am on my 3rd yr with my deka battery and the online batteries I have are good too, the secrete is: 1, have a quality charger like Deltrans battery Tender Plus that wont over charge your battery. 2, you cant leave them hooked up, they drain especially 96 and newer with the dess system, I have installed battery switches (denniskirk.com) and simply turned it off when not in use, this is definatly nessary when you are storing battery in your ski over any lenght of time.
Hope this helps

Walmart Battery - 43.00 (Core was 10.00 So bring the old one.)
Solar Pannel Maintainer - 15.00 (Make sure it has a built in voltage cut off.)

Keep the receipt of the battery cause it has a good warrenty.

Mine last me 2 season so far.. Check the water level before every ride like your suppose to.

You can buy this as well.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SpeedCharge-Battery-Maintainer-and-Charger/13005742

^ thats what used to charge it. it will maintain it as well in the cold.

There is threads with Battery stuff in the forum on here.

I got my last 3 at advance auto, had a $25 off orders of $60 or more... battery was $60.99, then the core took another $6.00 off! came out pretty cheap.

Keep the batteries INSIDE in the winter, and i alternated a trickle charger between my 4 boat batteries all winter... every few days i'd just move it from on to the next in line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back