Battery charger question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bw23198

Hi. I'm new to jetboating and this forum so forgive me if this seems like basic knowledge to everyone else. I recently purchased a used 2007 Speedster 150 with 155HP 4Tec. The previous owner installed a nice sound system on it and installed an additional battery to power it. Both batteries were wired to a Perko switch (model 8501). Before he sold me the boat he removed the second battery. I'm planning on getting the second battery this weekend and hooking it up prior to my first use on the boat. The previous owner also recommended that I buy a Guest charger to keep the batteries fully charged while the boat is parked in my garage. Looking at the Guest product line I see a few different options. I know I'll need a dual battery charger, but am not sure if I'll need a trolling charger or cruising charger. I also don't know how many amps I need the charger to handle. My existing battery is an Interstate 24M-XHD 800 CCA 1000 MCA SPR. This doesn't appear to be a deep cycle battery so I will probably try to get one of those for my second battery. Any advice is greatly appriciated!

-Brian

You shouldn't need a second battery charger for your batteries unless you use the power while it is setting on the trailer. The switch should allow both batteries to charge up while under way. If you want to charge up the batteries after setting for a while you need to charge them up with a 2amp. trickle charger. Be sure the power to the seadoo electrical is off so it won't surge anything on the seadoo,by back tracking into the electrical system.

Karl

Karl is correct. Just a small trickle charger is fine. If you want to be able to charge both batteries at the same time when the boat is sitting, you will need 2. I am in the process of installing my 2nd battery. I am adding a 2 12 volt receptacles on the back of the boat. 1 hooked to each battery for charging. That way I can just plug it in without opening the cover. Here is the charger I use that I picked up at Sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...+&+Chargers&sName=Battery+Chargers+&+Boosters

Actually check the wiring...depending on how it is wired to the switch you might be able to connect to the the positive+ wire and to one of the grounds- and charge both at the same time. It's kinda like what the switch does at the position of "all" to charge both batteries, it's equipped that way.

Karl

The 1,2,all switch has individual posts for each + battery cable. The only way I figure you could charge both at the same time is to connect the charger directly to both batteries. I dont think you could tie it into the 1,2,all switch. It would only charge them both if the switch was in the all position, which would leave the circuit open, possibly damaging the boat electronics.

Thanks for your replies. This may be slightly off topic, but should I replace my Perko switch (model 8501) with a model 8503? If I understand these correctly, the 8503 will allow you to switch between battery 1, battery 2, and all with the engine running whereas the 8501 model will not allow you to switch while the engine is running?

-Brian

I am using the 8501 also. The way I thought it worked was that it is ok to switch it from 1 battery to the other or from all to 1 or 2, as long as it is still ON. You just can't switch it to OFF while the boat is running.

You shuold be fine as long as you aren't moving the switch to the OFF position while the engine is running.

I am still installing my 2nd battery, but I dont see any reason why you couldn't, as long as you dont switch to off.

Battery tender also makes good trickle chargers. Some models are water proof and can be installed in the hull. Then all you do is plug it in when you store boat so it's always ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back