Batteries questions/problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SamNJax

I have a 2012 Challenger with two batteries and switch. It has one Advanced Auto starting battery and one X2Power Dual purpose. It's been in storage in Cali the past year and the starting battery is dead. I'm attempting to charge that now. The Dual-purpose allowed me to get through a few hours on the lake but then started showing low charge. I have a Sears DieHard automatic charger and connected it up, set it to Deep Cycle, 12A charge. The charger said the battery was at 50%. Left over night, it turned itself off but the battery only reads at 12.16V on my meter. If I connect the same charger up, it says it's 23%. I'm confused about what's going on here... Anyone have any ideas?

How old are the batteries? I think the 12.1 is too low, you really need to load test the batteries. I would guess they would not test well under a load. For fun you should make sure the system is charging the batteries when the motor is running. Just my .02.

You need to load test the batteries, sound like they are sulphated from a previous low charge condition or they are just old.

How old are the batteries? I think the 12.1 is too low, you really need to load test the batteries. I would guess they would not test well under a load. For fun you should make sure the system is charging the batteries when the motor is running. Just my .02.
The starting battery has a sicker from 2013... not sure about the dual

That's old for a battery, I would not trust it in a boat for sure! You can have it load tested at most auto parts stores. I bet you going to need a new one!

Time for new batteries and definitely confirm the charging system is working properly. You should be seeing around 14V (+/- 0.5V) at the battery with the motor/s running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back