Bad cavitation during turns and out of the hole.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckbuck2

impeller.jpg

I own a 1996 SeaDoo XP and it has bad cavitation when i turn and do a broadie and when i am at a stand still. I did some research and came to the conclusion that it was my wear ring. So i starting taking it apart and got the nozzle off and was looking around and the bronze part was cracked and bent on the bottom right of the picture... Could this have anything to do with the problem or would it still be the wear ring?

Thanks,
Cody

the damage should change flow a little, but don't see how it could cause cavitation. do the wear ring, file the brass smooth and ride it.

Ok that sounds good! Thats what i figured but i thought i should ask before i took it all apart. I also have 2 questions on replacing the wear ring. Do i need to buy a impeller and pump remover in order to do it? And also when i am putting the pump back on, do i just use silicone again to seal the pump onto the hull?

Thanks

I would clean up the casting... but your ring is pretty good shape. If the cavitation is bad (like the engine is bouncing off the rev-limiter) I would be looking at the carbon seal.

What do you mean the engine is bouncing off of the rev-limiter? because when i pin the throttle from a stop it revs way up but barely goes anywhere until i let off the throttle to like 1/3 - 1/2

If you can pin the throttle, and the engine gets to peak PRM's... and you aren't going anywhere... that's cavitation from an air leak. The most likely place for that kind of air leak is the carbon seal on the drive shaft.

The carbon seal is under the gray cover, behind the engine. Normally, it's very hard to tell it's condition visually... but make sure everything is where it is supposed to be... and... if you put a blob of waterproof grease on the face of the seal... and the cavitation gets better for a while... that is your problem... and it all needs rebuilt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad cavitation as well.

First I want to thank you guys. I have used this forum to learn how to…and fix several ski’s. I have hit one that is over my head. I hope this is not a repeat question. For the last 3 years I have been training myself on repairing ski’s with fair success. I am lost on this one.
Customer brought in an RXDI ski, 2003. It had serious cavitation along with a maintenance alarm. I found that the pee stream from the front showed an inconsistent stream and the maintenance alarm was tied to that stream. The ski shoe had a large hole blown in it. 1 inch wide and 2 inches long. Thought it was a smoking gun reason for the problem and changed the shoe. Did not fix it.
When the ski would cavitate, I could see air moving through the cooling lines.
First I thought the cavitation started in the jet unit and pulled the air into the cooling lines. I put caulk on the drive shaft where the orings seal by the wear ring. Ski worked perfect until it sucked the caulk through the orings. Figured I had it and replaced the orings at the wear ring. Ski went 67 mph, for about 10 minutes, then back to square one, alarms and bad cavitation. Put caulk there again and it was not leaking there.
Replaced carbon ring, no change.
Wear Ring and impeller are new.
I also found a leak in one tee of the cooling lines and fixed it. For about 15 minutes, ski ran flawlessly. Alarm went away and no cavitation. Pushed it real hard, ski cavitated and I was back to square one, could not get it planed out it cavitated so bad.
Rave on the exhaust was now leaking, replaced it, again, 10-15 minutes of performance and then right back where I was.
It feels like I am chasing a weak link. Something is causing the cooling lines to have excessive pressure or suction, as I fix a problem it moves.
I now believe that the air is getting introduced to the jet from the cooling system. I watch bubbles come in at the top of the exhaust pipe cooling line, move through the ski, come out the exhaust side and cavitation starts. The ski will alarm almost immediately from lack of flow in the cooling system. If I have a good pee stream, no alarm, no cavitation, as soon as I lose that, cavitation and alarms and visual air in the system.
Help at this point would be awesome.

I also have a 96 xp and started experiencing the cavitation today i thought it was the wear ring and will check clearance tomorrow, I did find a couple pieces of the neoprene seal between the jet pump and the hull sticking out like it had torn and was coming apart, couple this be a source of that airleak as well?

Had the same ski at one point. Lots of fun and full of performance. Definately sounds to me like your wear ring is gone. May be able to straighten and file the impeller. My problem is yet to be determined, but not the same.

Thanks.

Guys... Please don't ask questions in someone else's thread.... so... start your own threads if you want answers.

I am sorry and mean no disrespect but having the same problem with the same ski does not seem to be hijacking the thread. Again I apologize was just looking for an alternate location for the air leak you referred to. I will start another thread. thanks for taking the time

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back