Automatic bilge pump won't shut off 96 Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea-nisa

Hello,

I've owned the boat for several years now and have worked on you name it and fixed it or replaced it. So the other day I noticed the bilge pump wasn’t working. So, I checked the 3 amp fuse and noticed it got burned out. I replaced it figuring this would solve the problem I also took the bilge out and cleaned her out a little. After reinstalling everything seemed to be in working order. Well it’s wasn't, the bilge refuses to shut off...... There is no more water in the hull as I vacuumed it all out to ensure the test I was doing was going to work.

What should I do as next steps? I checked the switch by the blower fan and disconnected it but the bilge kept working. My next step is to see if the automatic water sensor is dirty or needs some type of cleaning or even replacement. Any ideas anyone?

I don’t have a cavitation problem the wear ring its excellent shape but all this extra weight due to the water its slowing me down from my normal performance. I also don’t want to have to plug and unplug the fuse to get the bilge to work because it’s annoying. But, in the mean time I’m doing to have to. For anyone else out there that runs into this I hope the post helps you.

Thanks!

The auto switch may have failed. Somewhere... between the pump, and the battery, is an in-line fuse for the automatic section. You can pull that fuse, and it will still work via the switch.

The auto switch may have failed. Somewhere... between the pump, and the battery, is an in-line fuse for the automatic section. You can pull that fuse, and it will still work via the switch.

Learning opportunity----

There is a sensor and a auto switch?

In reading, I have learned there is a sensor. I assumed the sensor sensed water and closed the circuit.

If this is the case, what is the auto switch?

Or, am I correct they are none in the same but wired separately.

Over the years... there was different pumps and switches used.

The one in his boat SHOULD be a stand-alone auto switch. (tan colored, with a couple screws that sensed the water, and made the power connection)

The positive power for the "manual" side...and the "Auto" side have their own feed.

The some of the newer boats... the "Auto" fuse was directly behind the battery switch. The manual fuse is in the helm fuse block. On the 96 single engine boats... they didn't come from the factory with a switch. SO.. you have to look for the "Auto" power fuse.

The older seadoo auto switch wasn't bad... but it will eventually fail. Although... I did revive one a few weeks ago for a customer with a simple cleaning.

As you get into the late 90's... The pumps changed. Some where the auto sense type. (it will cycle every few minutes, and if there is a load... it will stay running) And some were the "Rule Mate"... and they had an internal float switch.

With that all said... since we are dealing with a 17 year old boat... who knows what an old owner may have done.

(sorry that was a bit random)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back