Are the bolt holes in the Wear Ring Housing threaded?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uhhh...Clem

I have a 2001 Utopia with Mercury 210 hp M2 Jet. I took the Nozzle Assembly and Stator off with little problems. But, while removing the bolts holding the the wear ring to the drive housing, I broke one of the long SS bolts (the one on the bottom right). It sticks out of the inner wear ring bolt hole about an inch. The Impeller is out, but, I still can't get the wear ring housing to come loose from the drive housing, even using a two-arm puller that I made. So, I am thinking that maybe the broken bolt is holding the wear ring housing tightly to the drive housing?

I tried pushing the bolts through the other inner bolt holes in the wear ring housing, and they seem to be threaded (the bolts screw into them, and don't pull out -- as if the bolt holes are threaded). This doesn't make sense because the wear ring bolts onto the gear drive housing, so, I would think the bolt holes in the wear ring are blank. I am checking here to confirm whether or not the inner bolt holes (next to the drive housing) in the wear ring housing are threaded? If not, perhaps corrosion has formed "threads" in the wear ring housing?

It would be a lot easier to get to the broken bolt if I could get the wear ring housing off first. Otherwise, I am about to begin drilling the SS bolt out of the wear ring and drive housings. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Jim

Here's a picture of the broken bolt

Broken Bolt.jpg

The hex head portion of the broken bolt is in the foreground (still in the wear ring outer bolt hole), the broken stud is in the background (protruding from the inner bolt hole).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have to double check... but once those bolts are out... the mid section should slide off.

I just noticed that your ride plate is still bolted on. That's probably what's holding it together. It's bolted to the stator, and the intake.

Tony,

Thank you for your responses.

I took off the trim plate after taking the picture, I thought that was the only attachment that was left. I'll pull the ride plate off and try again.

Jim

It turns out that the bolt holes in the wear ring are NOT threaded!. However, corrosion can cause a bolt to adhere to the housing (See my post: "Stuck wear ring housing".). I was able to remove the wear ring with the help of a couple of pullers that I made, and, I removed the bolt using alternating heat (propane torch), cold in a can (Freeze Off!) and a pipe wrench!

Remove Broken Bolt.jpg

BTW the Ride Plate didn't need to come off, only the two bolts holding the Trim Plate to the Wear Ring Housing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you need to take the impellor off to remove the section with wear ring? I did the same thing with mine broke bolt got everything loose but my impellor is still bolted on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back