Appreciation for Sea-Doo techs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JBoss

I just wanted to say that I have a new-found appreciation for you people crazy enough to work on these things full time. I’m changing over the oil in my 96 Speedster to one that I know to be safe, and figured it would be a good idea to replace all the oil lines while I’m at it as they feel pretty hard and I have no idea how old they are. I just finished removing them all so I can now order new stuff because I couldn’t find the length needed for each size for the life of me. I’m trying to do it all without pulling the engines and it has been a major pain in the butt. I now understand why the labor cost at shops is what it is, and I tip my hat to you sadistic bastards who enjoy working on these things lol

Any tips/tricks for reassembly would be appreciated!

The only oil lines that need to be replaced are the little 3/32” oil lines from the oil pump to the intake manifold.

I got the chime in on this. Working hunched over twisted up in that back is fun. Last time I walked bent over for a few days. Bought the GTX and was so happy that it was going to be easier to work on. NO! Kind of nice having all that room around the engine. You can completely drop the engine in carbs, pipe and all in the Challenger. As far as the oil lines go, I've always had the engine pulled out so that wasn't bad. That was in the back of my mind how fun that would be doing it in the vessel.

I got the chime in on this. Working hunched over twisted up in that back is fun. Last time I walked bent over for a few days. Bought the GTX and was so happy that it was going to be easier to work on. NO! Kind of nice having all that room around the engine. You can completely drop the engine in carbs, pipe and all in the Challenger. As far as the oil lines go, I've always had the engine pulled out so that wasn't bad. That was in the back of my mind how fun that would be doing it in the vessel.

I do have to say now that it’s done it wasn’t so bad. I had to learn some lessons the hard way on tricks that make the job easier.

But I got A LOT better aquatinted with my boat, and took care of a bunch of things before they had a chance to give me a problem.

Over the winter I:
-rebuilt both pumps
-changed out both carbon seal assembly’s
-changed out all the oil lines, I really like how nice and transparent the OSD lines are, lets you verify oil is present and chase down any bubbles
-switched the oil from mystery blue to Interceptor
-installed battery switches and SAE charging leads
-installed GPS speedo and digital tachs

And from reading some of the threads on this forum, I’m more confident knowing that I’ve calibrated the injection pumps properly, or synced the carbs, it really has helped. I hope I have many more years of fun to be had on this thing.

The most difficult is pulling that first part you suspect to be bad and learning about it.

These machines are not "gas and go" but if you take care of them, they'll give you many years of enjoyment. Trust your intuition and do things right.

I'm resurrecting mine, and it's going well but that wouldn't be possible without the guys and gals on this site! They are amazing! I'm truly impressed by so many here and how responsive they are. I would be lost without this community. I've learned a lot here. The support here is top notch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back