anyone put a 787 in an SPi? i

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

true520

I hear the 717 will probably just bolt right into the 95 spi... but i think
the xtra ponies from the 787 may make it a little more fun.

I have 2 spis...and 5 xps sitting in the back yard... the only reason I
Haven't already started this project is because I am not sure what to
do about pump bolt up.

Has someone already done this?

The mounts between the 720 and 800 engines are different. It wont' be a "Bolt-in" project. But... the driveshaft from the 720 will physically slide into the 800 PTO.

As far as, "has it been done?" Sure... it's called... "Any X4 hull with an 800 in it." (95-96 XP800; 97-99 SPx)

The mounts between the 720 and 800 engines are different. It wont' be a "Bolt-in" project. But... the driveshaft from the 720 will physically slide into the 800 PTO.

As far as, "has it been done?" Sure... it's called... "Any X4 hull with an 800 in it." (95-96 XP800; 97-99 SPx)

yip... and i've seen 800's and 951's go into x4 hulls as far back as 93, its a lot of fiberglass work, but it can be done, but honestly there is no real advantage to using an older hull, its not going be be 'better' than the newer hulls, imo its probably less work just getting a cheap empty hull that is ready to go.

rest assured, its NOT bolt in .

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my delima.

I traded around and ended up with (2) 95 SPIs...

I cleaned the carbs, changed the fuel lines and added batteries... So, now both of these skis crank and run. Both have 130 compression all the way around too.

I take my two teenage boys to the ocean a few times a year to jump waves... We actually have (4) 96 XPs and a 4 ski trailer now...

Even tho we have one ski as a SPARE...we usually end up leaving early because there isnt enough running skis left for all 3 of us to go
out on. LOL.

So, I was thinking this little pair of SPIs might just be perfect to leave somewhere in storage down at the beach... AND, if we go thru our Running XPs while down there, we can just run over and grab one of these.

Challenge is...right now BOTH SPIs are pretty darn weak. I am sure it is because of their 130 compression too...but, I really am not wanting to rebuild their 60 Horse motors...

With all the crap I have sitting in the back yard, I dont have any running 720s that I dont currently need...so, I was wondering if I could
just "bolt in" one of my spare 787s.

I am really not interested in doing any fiber glass work...so I guess I will just wait till I come accross some running 720s.

I do like the feel of these little SPIs on the lake tho...they feel like they have a lot of Potential as being a COOL wave Jumper...and this made me ponder the idea of How cool it would feel with 110 Horse! LoL

Thanks for the intel guys

OHHH yeah, I forgot to add...

Last year I bought (2) 95 XPs to leave placed at the beach... And even tho they had plenty of Wave Jumping capability, their extra long nozzle kept hitting the ground on breaking the sterring cable. I was noticing these SPIs dont have the nozzle sticking way out...so I just thought they would work better. But right now, as they sit, they are way too down on
power.

Anyhoo... Thanks again.

This made me think a little tho...

These SPIs feel a lot different in the water that the 787 hulls do. Are they not a different hull design all together?

Unless you just bolt a 718 in there its not worth the bother. The 800 would be too much work seeing as your basically making an 800 X4.. kind of. Now, a 951 would be clutch.

SPIs are not X4 hulls...easy tell is the removable trim tabs. The hull dimensions are slightly different also.

X4s include 95-96XP 96-99SPX

SPI, 95 XP (non 800 flavor) feature a 4 point engine mount vs the 787 (800) and 951 3 point mounts.

For what its worth the trim tabs can be a negative to jumping, also the SPI will not have the somewhat fragile VTS system... also no RAVE and water regulator to maintain...
For a KISS "jumper" a 720 SPI might be interesting! IMO

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back