Anyone here ride Dirt bikes or Enduro's?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

seadoo/skidoo

Hey everyone just wondering if any of you SeaDoo guys ride dirt bikes or enduro's when your not out on the water. Tell us about your bike and post pictures if you would like! :cheers:

My bike is a 89 Kawasaki KDX 200 :cool:. runs like a champ never lets me down, this thing is bullet proof!

Attachments

• IMG00245-20111117-1120.jpg
    IMG00245-20111117-1120.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG00272-20111202-1108.jpg
    IMG00272-20111202-1108.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 9
I used to. It was my first love as a kid, before the word "jetski" was even invented (yes, I'm as old as dirt).

I raced a Butaco 250cc. I raced motocross in Charleston South Carolina, at a track called Chisholm trail. I don't even know if it still exists, but raced it way before supercross was even thought of. I road the moto-cross circuit in 1974 (told you I was old!) I don't even think I have any pix of that bike. I didn't own it long, before it was destroyed. The dirt bikes then didn't have the suspension systems they have now. Though the Bultaco was an actual dirt bike, some manufactures made dirt bikes from street bikes by selling a street bike without lights, removed front fenders and running knobby tires. The two cycles by Suzuki (especially the 185cc) were the most popular dirt bikes, but the Bultaco I had was a power house. Man, wish I still had that bad boy....

I looked that butaco 250 up on google. looks like a cool bike Seadoosnipe! probably was the bike that everyone wanted when it came out.

I cant see those street bikes without suspenssion and just knobby tires being to fun to ride or smooth when going over jumps :lols:

Well, not as bad as you might think. We had jumps, moguls and just about everything you might see on a standard moto cross track, just not on the same scale. That was because of the suspension systems. Jumps were still done the same way, jumping one and bringing it down on the other.

There were a lot more wrecks than you see today. The tracks are totally different today than yesterday. They had most of the same things, just on a much smaller scale.

I rode the Suzuki TS185 for a year, but it wasn't mine. The Bultaco was a powerful bike, but the 185 was a lot easier to throw around.

Your thread brings back some memories. I did all this when I was between the ages of 13 and 17, actual circuit 1972-74. Never really won anything worth mentioning, but it was fun. There were a lot more wipe outs, but it was all part of it.

Yep... I raced SCORE when I lived in SoCal. (in the early to mid 90's) I've had more bikes over the years than I can count. Because of that... I destroyed my back, knees, and shoulders. So, most of my "Riding Off-road" these days is in my Polaris RZR.

In the stable: XR50, XR250L, DRZ400 (tard) RZR800, and some street bikes too.

29.jpg

94.jpg

30.jpg

Here's my DRZ the day I got it.

29.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, not as bad as you might think. We had jumps, moguls and just about everything you might see on a standard moto cross track, just not on the same scale. That was because of the suspension systems. Jumps were still done the same way, jumping one and bringing it down on the other.

There were a lot more wrecks than you see today. The tracks are totally different today than yesterday. They had most of the same things, just on a much smaller scale.

I rode the Suzuki TS185 for a year, but it wasn't mine. The Bultaco was a powerful bike, but the 185 was a lot easier to throw around.

Your thread brings back some memories. I did all this when I was between the ages of 13 and 17, actual circuit 1972-74. Never really won anything worth mentioning, but it was fun. There were a lot more wipe outs, but it was all part of it.

I can defiantly imagine there would be a lot more wrecks than today lol but thats all part of the fun. Sounds like you had fun seadoosnipe with your bike! Thats the point of this thread is to bring back memories and to see what everyone else rides or rode at one time! :cheers:

Dr Honda nice collection of bikes you got there! I guess ruining your back and knees is the price you gotta pay to race bikes.

I like that green and black suzuki :thumbsup: . I have to say that polaris Rzr looks like some fun, bit of a different ride but at least your still having fun. Is that polaris fast?:cheers:

Talking about old as dirt, I started riding off road in 1969 or 1970. In 1972 I started racing motocross and continued until 2000. I have ridden off-road a few times since and still have a Yamaha YZ426F. My kids and I are headed over to Daytona tomorrow for the Daytona Supercross.

The photo is of me riding a down by Lake Okeechobee a couple years ago.

Attachments

• ride.JPG
    ride.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 8
Dr Honda nice collection of bikes you got there! I guess ruining your back and knees is the price you gotta pay to race bikes.

I like that green and black suzuki :thumbsup: . I have to say that polaris Rzr looks like some fun, bit of a different ride but at least your still having fun. Is that polaris fast?:cheers:

The Green and black is the DRZ when I bought it. ($800) It was NASTY spray paint. Also, the trans was locked between gears. So... after a full strip down, and sprinkling my normal love on a project... it turned into the yellow Blue bike.

The RZR is fast enough. It probably tops out at around 65 mph. I've had it going about 45 on a trail... but it's not the hot RZR. It's the 50" wide version to get threw the woods trails. The have the XP that has 17" of wheel travel. Basically, you can drive it like a trophy truck.

Here's what I found in the DRZ when I cracked the case open. AND... a pic of the start of the project.

30.jpg

31.jpg

33.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

Talking about old as dirt, I started riding off road in 1969 or 1970. In 1972 I started racing motocross and continued until 2000. I have ridden off-road a few times since and still have a Yamaha YZ426F. My kids and I are headed over to Daytona tomorrow for the Daytona Supercross.

The photo is of me riding a down by Lake Okeechobee a couple years ago.

must of been cool racing motocross for that many years! Nice air in that picture El Toro 33809. I like those yamaha 426's lots of power and torque!

Dr Honda it sure looks like a good project. I like the custom dash piece, and that engine looks clean! what was the bits of metal you found in the tranny?

That RZR goes fast 65mph :drool5:. It sounds like a lot of fun to drive around in, do you prefer that polaris over the brp side by sides?

Dr Honda it sure looks like a good project. I like the custom dash piece, and that engine looks clean! what was the bits of metal you found in the tranny?

That was the 3rd gear shift dog. The guy I bought it from, said he was downshifting (coming home from work) and the rear tire locked, and wouldn't shift. It was trying to be in 3rd and 4th gear at the same time.

Thanks... I liked the dash too. I sell them on my website. I'll put a picture at the bottom of what it looked like, after being anodized.

That RZR goes fast 65mph :drool5:. It sounds like a lot of fun to drive around in, do you prefer that polaris over the brp side by sides?

Well............

To be very honest, I like Polaris over most brands anymore. At one time, I was a die hard Yamaha guy, but in the early 2000's they were having a bunch of failures, and not fessing up to the problems. I knew a lot of people who had to spend money on transmissions, and fuel injection parts, when they were actually defects. It wasn't until 2008, and a class action law suit was brought up, that they reimbursed people, and fixed the issues. BUT, that didn't help the people who sold the bike after paying to have it fixed.

Right now, I have my Genesis (PWC) a Victory Vegas, and my RZR. I have had nothing but good things to say about the Polaris brand. My Vic had fuel injection issues after the warranty, and my local dealer submitted that I get a new ECU, and Polaris allowed it !!! Obviously, a bad dealer could have told me NO... but Polaris Corporate allowed the repairs to be done out of warranty. If you spend $30k on a new Seadoo boat, and develop cracks in the Gel coat... you have to fight with them. (along with any other warranty) Dont' get me wrong... I LOVE the mid 90's Seadoo's, but there is no way that I would buy a NEW seadoo, or other BPR product.

With that aside... the CanAm SxS is HUGE. It weighs 1500 Lbs dry, and has the footprint of an old williys jeep. I'm not saying it's bad... but it's not what I'm looking for. My RZR is only 50" wide, and is 950 Lbs. I ride the woods, and have to follow ATV's around. On that note... we went out yesterday, and at the staging area, there was a brand new XP, and asked if he could follow up on the trails. We said "Sure, but we are going to get into the ATV trails at the end of the property." After about 20 minutes of riding the normal sized trails, we finally got into the tight stuff, and he had to turn around. At one point, we went over a bridge, (he was too wide) and we told him were to meet us. He did... but then he kind of got pissed that we didnt' want to ride where he wanted to. Mind you, we didn't know him, but we knew where we were going.

Anyway... no one else makes a small side by side. Also, no one else makes a true sport SxS. All the others have a bed on the back. I guess Artic-Cat is releasing a "Wild Cat"... but it's as big as a tube dune buggy.

40.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I Don't disagree with you one bit Dr Honda, I like polaris also. I was actually thinking of getting one of there pwc. what do you like better seadoo or polaris pwc? Ive never really been a fan of yamaha either I owned one of there bikes and never had very good luck with it and I have never liked the look of there wave runners or whatever there called lol. I'm actually amazed of how much lighter the RZR is compared to the can am SxS

Slow but steady!

This is what you might call an old man's UTV, it ain't fast and not too pretty. It is a narrow machine and will go most places an ATV will go ,but not quite as fast as most. I use it in my wood cutting operation and it will go places the tractors wouldn't even think off. I've only had it stuck once and had to cut the tree down to free it, notice the real mud on the tires.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 5
Those mule's are pretty cool! i've driven one before and yes like you said there not the fastest but hey its fun lol. than again anything with wheels is fun to me :cheers:

I Don't disagree with you one bit Dr Honda, I like polaris also. I was actually thinking of getting one of there pwc. what do you like better seadoo or polaris pwc?

the 90's to early 2000's Seadoos are great. They are very reliable, and parts are all over the place. The polaris 2-strokes are also very good. The SXT 780 hull is the offshoot of the seadoo X4 hull. It's a deeper hull, and really only good for one person. The 785 Pro is a VERY hot ride. It's 145 Hp with all the goodies from the factory. it's a 3cyl reed valve engine, with a SkatTrack pump, swirl impeller, and Factory Pipe "Triple Pipes". Polaris also did a 1200 Pro, that used the same hull, and pump... but used a stock 1200cc triple for power. (Same that's in my Genesis) If you feed it a good API-TC oil... it will live as long as any seadoo engine. (and do 67 mph all day long)

Harryb: nothing wrong with a Mule. They can be very fun.

must of been cool racing motocross for that many years! Nice air in that picture El Toro 33809. I like those yamaha 426's lots of power and torque!

When growing up, racing dirt bikes was my focus. It held my attention, kept me focused and pretty much out of trouble. The PWC's are a nice extension of it all. Our son, an 18 year old high school senior, and I enjoy working on the PWC's. He has a good head on his shoulders (wants to be a chemical engineer) and we have done a lot of repairs together. He is especially good with electrical items. I have the engine work down pretty well, working with the 2-stroke dirt bikes for all those years. The 4-stroke wave has done the same thing to off road that it has to PWC's. Driven the cost up and although they are reliable, they are much more difficult for the average owner to work on themselves.

the 90's to early 2000's Seadoos are great. They are very reliable, and parts are all over the place. The polaris 2-strokes are also very good. The SXT 780 hull is the offshoot of the seadoo X4 hull. It's a deeper hull, and really only good for one person. The 785 Pro is a VERY hot ride. It's 145 Hp with all the goodies from the factory. it's a 3cyl reed valve engine, with a SkatTrack pump, swirl impeller, and Factory Pipe "Triple Pipes". Polaris also did a 1200 Pro, that used the same hull, and pump... but used a stock 1200cc triple for power. (Same that's in my Genesis) If you feed it a good API-TC oil... it will live as long as any seadoo engine. (and do 67 mph all day long)

yes i love the 90's seadoo's small fast easy to throw around unlike those new 4-tecs :lols: . I am thinking about getting a polaris with the Fuji 750 or 780. wish i could get a 785 with the twin pipes :drool5: but those are hard to find especially in good shape for a good price. that polaris you got goes 67mph thats pretty good! is that the red domestic 3 cyl motor?

Nathan

. Our son, an 18 year old high school senior, and I enjoy working on the PWC's. He has a good head on his shoulders (wants to be a chemical engineer) and we have done a lot of repairs together. He is especially good with electrical items. I have the engine work down pretty well, working with the 2-stroke dirt bikes for all those years. The 4-stroke wave has done the same thing to off road that it has to PWC's. Driven the cost up and although they are reliable, they are much more difficult for the average owner to work on themselves.

I am the same way I am always wrenching on my seadoo and I'm only 16 years old. I have been doing things like that for years plus now im working at a motorcycle shop on harleys, street bikes etc.. your son must be pretty smart with the electrical, i know i have a hard time trying to figure it all out sometime lol I'm better with the engine work like you. yea when it comes to pwc i don't think they are necessarily do the right things by using 4 stroke to tight of a space in the hulls and to much s*it to go wrong plus its heavier

Nathan

yep... both the 785 and 1200 are the "Domestic" engines. (black case, and read heads) Fuji's are blue. There was also a 700 twin, and 900 triple.

I have a 1200 domestic in my Genesis. It's a great engine. Quiet, and SUPER smooth. My big Genesis (4 seater) will run 56 to 58 mph with 3 people on it.

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only old fart on this forum. I used to race motocross, dirt bikes, and also had street bikes. I had a 175 Suzuki (moto-cross), a 185 Suzuki (dirt bike) this was my favorite but it would qualify for the 175 class and too underpowered for the 250 class. Also a Kawa 350 (moto-cross) too much power and too heavy for me for competition.

A Kawa Ninja 950 (I think), street bike, and a Suzuki 2-stroke 550 crotch rocket.

Sad to say this was all before wedding cake. Also screwed up my knee pretty good on motocross. So I'm retired from motorcycles and into SeaDoo's.

Lou

Lou, were you in Ky when you raced? I grew up in southern Ohio. Raced in Ky some, but mostly in Ohio and Indiana. What years were you active? We may have crossed paths at some point in time.

Gosh, that's been so long ago, hell it was in the last century. It was in the early to mid 70's, there was a track in Georgetown KY, and a couple in Eastern KY, around Red River Gorge, and Natural Bridge. Stanton exit I believe. I never was in serious competition, even though I did compete in a couple of races, third was the best I ever did, and a lot of the time it was just a bunch of us getting together riding a drinking beer, seems kinda crazy now.

Lou

Back