Anyone ever hand balmed a GTI SE 155 or 130 on its trailer?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pawn

I currently have a 1995 XP. I bought it last spring just to play around with to see if I'd get any use out of it and surprise! I had a great summer of fun. The only thing missing is my family to share it with because it's way too shaky to be comfortable with a passenger (the XP has a weight limit of 350lbs and I weigh 210lb of it already - I suspect the 350lb is an overly optimistic estimate as well).

I store the boat at the side of my house, which involves me hand carting it about 50 feet across my lawn on its trailer and threading it into a 6'-0" wide space. It's heavy but hasn't been a problem so far but not exactly a fun task after a few hours of riding.

To get to the point, I'd like to upgrade to a more stable boat for the coming season and everything more modern and more stable weighs a lot more. I've been shopping around and the machine I like is the GTI SE 130 or SE 155 (used 2016 or 2017). They both weigh close to 800lbs. That sounds far heavier than my 450lb XP but the trailer weighs the same either way (about 250lbs I think) so we're talking about 50% heavier overall. Obviously I'm not going to know if I can handle this until the day I bring it home (and after I unload my XP) so it's a bit of a risk. So the question is...

...has anyone ever done this? Is it too much?

Thanks in advance.

That's lot of weight. I don't know about your lawn in terms of hardness or pitch but I use a hand cart (dolly) with 2 wheels that has the hitch ball on it to attach to trailer. Very easy to move vs more manual ways although that's on pavement too...You can also get powered ones that would certainly help. I'll find a link to what I am referring to and post it.

I have a 2012 gti 130. It sits in my garage down the side of my house. I have to physically pull it down the side of the house to hook onto the car as my car doesn't fit down the side.
its easy! I also had a 1996 xp and yes you can tell the difference in weight but its still pretty easy.
Mine is hard ground thou. But my drive is stones so getting it back onto the hard ground is a challenge alone as you cant get grip on the stones when pushing. I end up letting the car do the hard work and then unhook once I am passed the stones.

I have a 2012 gti 130. It sits in my garage down the side of my house. I have to physically pull it down the side of the house to hook onto the car as my car doesn't fit down the side.
its easy! I also had a 1996 xp and yes you can tell the difference in weight but its still pretty easy.
Mine is hard ground thou. But my drive is stones so getting it back onto the hard ground is a challenge alone as you cant get grip on the stones when pushing. I end up letting the car do the hard work and then unhook once I am passed the stones.

Yeah my situation is not only grass but there's also a slight hump you deal with at the corner of my house and since I only have a 6 foot opening to fit a 5 foot stuff trailer, it's not like I can take a huge run at it. Thanks for feedback, I think as long as I have a fallback like the above mentioned hand cranked dolley, I'll at least feel confident there's a solution.

Has your trailer got a third wheel/jack at the front? I dont, :(

I am in a slightly similar position and i have a small incline up to the garage. Even an XPL, (which is light by today's standards) it's a struggle lifting the trailer and moving it.. Sometimes i actually need to take a run at the hill :( I have finally fitted a jack/wheel which should hopefully help!

You will definitely feel it moving that GTI, but hey when taking a ski out for the day, everything apart from being in the water is stressful!

Also, ever thought of keeping the XP? The GTI will be great for family days and cruising about, but you will wanna grab the XP when you are alone. As you know they are excellent wave jumpers and will carve, turn and get more air than that heavy GTI.

Has your trailer got a third wheel/jack at the front? I dont, :(

I am in a slightly similar position and i have a small incline up to the garage. Even an XPL, (which is light by today's standards) it's a struggle lifting the trailer and moving it.. Sometimes i actually need to take a run at the hill :( I have finally fitted a jack/wheel which should hopefully help!

You will definitely feel it moving that GTI, but hey when taking a ski out for the day, everything apart from being in the water is stressful!

Also, ever thought of keeping the XP? The GTI will be great for family days and cruising about, but you will wanna grab the XP when you are alone. As you know they are excellent wave jumpers and will carve, turn and get more air than that heavy GTI.

Yes that's an option (to keep the XP and have 2 skis). The market where I live is pretty lean and I imagine someone will want it for nothing and it's a very good running machine so yeah, I may just keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back