Any reason to update?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any benefits to updating my Jet boat from a carrier bearing in the drive shaft to the Carbon/Stainless disc? I know that I will have to replace the drive shaft with a later shaft with the groove for the o-ring.

I know that with the carbon disc I won't be able to run it on the hose for any period of time since the carbon disc needs water to cool it down, but is the sealing better with carbon? Also with carbon one less grease nipple to grease.

The advantage is less maintenance, also if the carrier bearing fails you will rip a hole in your boat and could sink, if the carbon seal fails you will just get cavitation. Personally I would upgrade to the carbon seal.

Lou

Yep yep...

In a perfect world there is no reason as your old style would never fail. The reality is,,, its a boat and normally everything fails at some point.

Even if you discount the ease of maintenance, the huge difference between the two is that your boat will likely sink if yours fails.

Yep, just pull the boat in the garage, grab and beer, turn on da Bears, and have at it.

Lou

hah I'm on the other side of the boat.....so to speak. I went from carbon seal to carrier bearing. I'm not concerned about greasing mine after every ride.

hah I'm on the other side of the boat.....so to speak. I went from carbon seal to carrier bearing. I'm not concerned about greasing mine after every ride.

Did you have to replace the driveshaft since the carbon bearing driveshaft has a grove for an o-ring? Wouldn't the grove cut into the seal in the carrier bearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back