Any one one here know about putting a new floor in a boat?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

glsmohio

Hey guys, im going to have to put a new floor in my boat, does anyone know how to or have info? Where to get all the stuff and what not, not sure where to start. I do trust you guys on here thats why im asking.

Thanks
scott

I did mine several years back and let me tell you it is something I'll NEVER do again. It was quite the project.

If I remember correctly the fiberglass cloth and resin came from U.S. Composites, marine plywood from a local place around columbus - I'll have to look it up, lots and lots of brushes and rollers for fiberglass from various paint supply stores.

I think in all I spent about $1400 on everything and no idea how many hours. I can probably write up some lessons learned/suggestions when I have some time or if ya wanna chat.

I did mine several years back and let me tell you it is something I'll NEVER do again. It was quite the project.

If I remember correctly the fiberglass cloth and resin came from U.S. Composites, marine plywood from a local place around columbus - I'll have to look it up, lots and lots of brushes and rollers for fiberglass from various paint supply stores.

I think in all I spent about $1400 on everything and no idea how many hours. I can probably write up some lessons learned/suggestions when I have some time or if ya wanna chat.

that would be a lot of help, im going to pull the floor up sunday and see what im dealing with, ill post some pics and let u see what i got, its got to be fixed, the boat is a 1990 and it only has 800 hrs on it, has the v6 mercruiser in it and the boat runs awesome just that one soft spot.

You are going to need some light coveralls and a good respirator as that fiberglass is nasty. The best tool I found for removing the old floor (especially where the floor is glassed to the hull) was an oscillating tool with a good half circle metal/wood blade. I got the tool from harbor freight but the blade from home depot or lowes. I think the blade was more than the tool, but I went through about 7 HF blades just in the bow of my boat. I bought one good blade for around $30 and it lasted the entire rest of the boat and I still use it today.

You are going to need some light coveralls and a good respirator as that fiberglass is nasty. The best tool I found for removing the old floor (especially where the floor is glassed to the hull) was an oscillating tool with a good half circle metal/wood blade. I got the tool from harbor freight but the blade from home depot or lowes. I think the blade was more than the tool, but I went through about 7 HF blades just in the bow of my boat. I bought one good blade for around $30 and it lasted the entire rest of the boat and I still use it today.

i got on from menards that i used last night to cut in to the soft spot

I helped a guy once. We bought Marine Grade plywood and coated it with shellac. Used Marine Caulk and coated the edges. Screwed it in place and installed indoor outdoor astro turf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a new floor installed in my 1991 Glastron in 2009. They had to separate the top/bottom hulls, the more wood they pulled up the more rot they found....besides the floor I replaced a stringer and the motor supports, (had to remove the I/O motor) It wasn't cheap.
this boat was always under a canopy in the summer and winter stored in a garage from 91 to 2002.

I help a guy once. We bought Marine Grade plywood and coated it with shellac. Used Marine Caulk and coated the edges. Screwed it in place and installed indoor outdoor astro turf.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you remove the old floor?

Did you remove the old floor?

We did. Took a circular saw and cut as close to the sides as we could get 1/8th inch deeper than the floor thickness.

Once we got the old floor out of the way, we worked on the remaining small part we left behind.

It wasn't fun,, but it turned out very well.

Thanks for all the imput. As soon as I get the floor up I'll post some pics and see what you think.

Ten years or so ago, I picked up a book at West Marine or Boater's World called Runabout Renovation by Jim Anderson that covers the process in great detail. I recommend it!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back