Any easy mods for the challenger 230 Wake with twin 4-TEC rotax supercharged engines?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
This boat is supposed to go 50 MPH plus with the 430 HP option (215 HP for each power plant). I barely hit 40 MPH even with a light load, half tank of gas, and smooth water. It's a new 2008 and I hear great things about these engines.

Are there any quick / easy / inexpensive modifications that I can make (preferably on my own) that will increase speed / horsepower?

I only have the basic tools and a basic understanding of engines but I'm a quick learner.

Any chance there's something wrong with these engines?

Thanks,

-Matt

I actually hit 40 MPH fairly easily even when loaded down to the max...but I can't get over 40-41 even with 1 passanger (light load).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure. I have the same boat and it is not broken in yet. I can't even find the speedometer. Where is that located? It says 0.0 on the perfectpass thing

Something is wrong for sure. I have a 2004 Utopia 205 with the 240hp merc. I've had the spedo up to 58. But I'm sure the spedo isn't that accurate. But I'm certain it's probably going around 50.

I have the same boat, my perfect pass speedo is off 5-7mph compared to my garmin gps at high speeds. unloaded boat 1/4 tank 2 people, tower removed hit 63mph on glass water.

Try using a handheld GPS to get a more accurate reading on mph.. My speedometer is off by 10mph. My 230 SE ( 430hp ) w/ tower does 58mph according to GPS.

Chris

you are correct

Try using a handheld GPS to get a more accurate reading on mph.. My speedometer is off by 10mph. My 230 SE ( 430hp ) w/ tower does 58mph according to GPS.

Chris

Hey Chris thanks for the reply. I actually go the boat back yesterday and they the speedometer read 41-46 and the GPS read 51-56 so it's looking like the speedometer is wrong.

My question now is - Why is everyone okay with this? is there not a way to re-calibrate the speedo?

it's a common knowledge on this forum that the speedometers are inaccurate so what's the deal here? I guess nobody has notified Seadoo of the issue? or is this just another one of those "that's how it is with a jet boat" problems??
:rant:

That is an excellent question, my understanding is that most boats do not have an accurate mph reading..

How is wakeboard tower doing now?

Chris

Most boat speedos are off to some degree or another. Using paddle wheels and all.

I once had a mastercraft that you could change the speedo whilst moving. kinda defeated the purpose I thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back