Another 3D starting problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

johna56

2004 3D 787 RFI. Engine rebuilt last winter, 2019 battery, new OSD heavy duty rectifier, 2019 solenoid, new plugs installed. I used it this summer, ran well. After failed battery relo attempt (due to splicing cables), I put the battery back in the original position and returned the cables to their original condition. Machine ran fine. Noticed oil in the hull a month or so later, (November 2020), pulled, resealed and replaced the oil fittings, and the leak seems to be solved. Now, the machine will not start. Battery seems good, i get 2 beeps at dess, i can hear the whine of the the fuel pump priming, no warning lights on, and i doubled checked battery by using another, brand new battery to confirm for a different ski - same result - cranks strong, will not start. Spark on front (pto?) plug inconsistent, sometimes not at all. Trimmed the wire, same result - cranks strong, will not start. How do i diagnose this from here?

Thanks.

Alternately, can anyone recommend a shop in central or north Jersey that has some experience with Sea Doo 2 strokes??

Are you giving the ski some fuel at the throttle when trying to start it? Sometimes a really low idle will make it difficult to start. Since it WAS running.... I suggest back tracking what you touched. Your problem seems strange as it came up all of a sudden.

Chech those 2 electrical wires and plugs going to the coil. make sure they are making good contact. Is it possible that with your electrical work that a fuse may be blown?

Are you using a Spark checker that plugs into the line? They are $5 or so and a great tool. If you have a fuel pressue testor I'd check that. Maybe pull the fuel rail and check the injectors to make sure they are firing. I've been told you can swap the injector wires by accident. You can also connect an injector wire to the rave valve solenoid. LOL Is your rave solenoid air line connected?

Make sure you don't have the TPS and Air Pressure sensor plugs swapped.

You may have an issue with your crank position sensor. What I'd do is pull the #4 plug from the Electronic Module and do all the ohm checks for the sensors and components. It might be simple.

If you bring that ski to a shop you'll get screwed. They probably will not even work on it. Stick with it.... you'll get it. Don't think a Candoo will help either. Dang near worthless on a RFI.

Try unpluging your info gauge set up. Probably won't make a difference but try that too.

I've had my head in these for hours and hours sometimes. LOL Thank God I got spare parts for everything. Sometimes that helps. Good Luck. Post up or PM me if you have specific questions. I got 3 RFIs over here right now. :)

Good luck.

It might not seem like it but I really like the RFIs. When they are working right they are way cool. Good Luck.

Thank you. I haven't tried throttle at start. For some reason I thought that was frowned upon with the rfi. Il pick up the tools you mentioned and check everything here. It is strange that this happened after swapping out the oil line. Seems like i bumped something and should be an easy fix, although i am tired of it. Ill report back after. Thanks again.

Nah.... basiclly you're looking at the basics. Still needs fuel, air, and spark. :) Giving it a little throttle will make up for other issues. Dang thing could be super flooded. Hold the throttle wide open for a bit and see what happens.
@changetires might have some good input or ideas. He has been working on his RFI. That dang thing is possessed. We changed and checked every part possible more than once.

good luck man !!!

Are you giving the ski some fuel at the throttle when trying to start it? Sometimes a really low idle will make it difficult to start. Since it WAS running.... I suggest back tracking what you touched. Your problem seems strange as it came up all of a sudden.

Chech those 2 electrical wires and plugs going to the coil. make sure they are making good contact. Is it possible that with your electrical work that a fuse may be blown?

Are you using a Spark checker that plugs into the line? They are $5 or so and a great tool. If you have a fuel pressue testor I'd check that. Maybe pull the fuel rail and check the injectors to make sure they are firing. I've been told you can swap the injector wires by accident. You can also connect an injector wire to the rave valve solenoid. LOL Is your rave solenoid air line connected?

Make sure you don't have the TPS and Air Pressure sensor plugs swapped.

You may have an issue with your crank position sensor. What I'd do is pull the #4 plug from the Electronic Module and do all the ohm checks for the sensors and components. It might be simple.

If you bring that ski to a shop you'll get screwed. They probably will not even work on it. Stick with it.... you'll get it. Don't think a Candoo will help either. Dang near worthless on a RFI.

Try unpluging your info gauge set up. Probably won't make a difference but try that too.

I've had my head in these for hours and hours sometimes. LOL Thank God I got spare parts for everything. Sometimes that helps. Good Luck. Post up or PM me if you have specific questions. I got 3 RFIs over here right now. :)

Good luck.
I have P0351 and P0352 on mine it starts then throws these codes
Using Candoo and plug tester both are sparking continuity check done ECU to coil and Vcm to coil , coil ground to engine ground
No suspecting ECU or Ignition coil pack
I am looking for an ECU and nee coil pack
Sorry to hi Jack the thread but sounds same issue

Ok, some new developments........ received the spark tester and according to the various diagnosis scenarios, its a fuel delivery issue. Plugs do seem a little too wet but i was attributing that to the non starting. That said, while reconnecting the battery before testing the spark, i noticed the ground cable terminal loose. I cut and soldered a new terminal onto the cable and after the machine tried to turn over almost every time i pressed the start button. It didn't start, but it was trying, which is an improvement, it sounded strong, back fired a couple times and i caught a couple puffs of smoke. If i keep my finger on the start button long enough, the engine will cut out on its own and i can hear a mechanical sound winding down, sort of a rough spinning, but not a grinding which i think is the starter disengaging. I also notice the warning light come on as im trying to start it, but i seem to recall the 3d warning light comes on until one of the pumps kicks on after the machine starts. To test for fuel delivery, am i starting at the pump first? Im assuming pull it, check the filter first, move outward from there? Is there a way to check fuel pressure without a gauge? Thanks.

I'm not sure but you can try holding the throttle wide open while cranking. If you are flooded that might clear the cylinder. I'd test the fuel pressure if you have a method but it is strange that it ran and now it doesn't. Did you check that the fuel injector plugs and TPS plugs were in their correct positions? And make sure the rave solenoid lines are all connected expeically the one from the crank case. You can test the check valve by blowing through it. You should not be able to blow air into the crank case via the rave air line. I wouldn't go too deep until you checked all the easy stuff. Good Luck !

Last edited:
Sounds like your covering all the basics @etemplet .....these things will make you second guess everything you do.... my engine is still sitting on the bench so I don’t have this RFI figured out yet

Sounds like your covering all the basics @etemplet .....these things will make you second guess everything you do.... my engine is still sitting on the bench so I don’t have this RFI figured out yet
If we figure this out we'll be men of renoun. LOL I'd love to get that lady's working correctly but nothing will come apart. I wonder if there is a common issue in these skis with regard to the wiring harness. the Can-Don't surely doesn't help.

Update..... narrowed issue down to MPEM. I have another question, out of curiosity, since the last time it started i was using a 1.5 amp solar charger on the battery. Any thoughts on the possibility that the charger could've caused some damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back