Aluminum vs steel freeze plugs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark100

Can I use steel instead of aluminum for the 1 1/8 inch plugs in the Seadoo tune pipe(exhaust). I found them at the local auto part store.

Steel is fine for a car and brass and bronze are dissimilar with alumuinum as well so don't play well with alumunum either. However, in a marine cast iron manifold or block, they are the material of choice.

Not that this applies here but just an FWIW so if you ever do run into a leaking freeze plug in another future or galaxy beyond aluminum manifolds, you're aware.

A steel plug in aluminum might be ok in fresh water (*maybe*),
but would definitely set you up for galvanic corrosion in salt water.

Just so everyone is clear these are weld on plugs/cap. So steel is 100% out.

aabd75bc18fbcd3b87599aca8e1325b1.jpg

I think some people were thinking (possibly, an assumption on my part) they're like a automotive freeze plug that taps in. Soooooooo, I posted a pic so we're all clear and someone doesn't go and buy a steel or brass freeze plug and walk into the welders shop and ask to have it welded on. And look like a total knuckle head not knowing it can't be done. That's all, just a little, small, minute detail that I didn't want overlooked. Not everyone knows.

And before anyone gets upset, I'm not inferring or implying anyone posting on this thread is a knuckle head.

A friend of mine welds vacuum tight ceramic and stainless fittings, I've watched him weld two bricks together.

Despite not having a current JB welders certification, I can weld two pieces of toilet paper together! No, don't ask! :)

It's just irrelevant information potentially confusing someone not in the know coming here for help and walks away unsure, possibly down the road in a year or three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back