aftermarket steering wheel / horn wiring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumps

Hi All,

I have a scar on my steering wheel. I assume its a cigarette burn from the previous owners. anyway, I know this is silly but I hate it and want it gone. so I bought a aftermarket momo steering wheel. it is yet to ship so I haven't worked out all the details. anyway, there is a horn button in the center. my boat has a horn button on the dash. all of the dash buttons are so worn that its impossible to figure out which is which. the last time I tried to honk, I turned on the blower.

anyhow, my real question is how do I wire up the button? has anyone done this before?

if the steering wheel were stationary, I would have no trouble making this work. but the hole turning thing makes it difficult. I have seen several videos on youtube where they wired the horn to a strip of metal that is in contact with the hub. I am hoping there is a better way. especially since my steering wheel only travels 75% of a turn from end to end.

any advise will be appreciated.

Hi All,

I got my steering wheel and installed it this morning. its a momo silverjet steering wheel and the colours matched with the rest of the boat really closely. but... I had to change my plans a little. The new horn button was not compatible with the steering hub existing on the boat.

It turns out that the momo steering wheel is pretty much 100% identical to the existing steering wheel. the holes are identical and the opening through the center of the steering wheel is identical. they were slight differences that effected the out come. the screws included are shorter machine threaded screws. the existing ones are longer and thread into plastic using a thread similar to wood screws. the heads on the new screws are pan style where the existing ones are counter sunk. I used the existing screws since they are compatible with the existing steering hub. the pan shape vs counter sunk may eventually cause problems but I am not going to buy an adapter just for this. I could have used the existing ring (counter sunk) from the old steering wheel but I really liked the simulated carbon fiber on the new ring (flat).

the other issue is that the plastic insert (says bombardier on it in the picture) is hollow on the back side. this makes room for the nut and bolt that holds the hub on in the back. since the new horn button was solid (for the button components) it didn't fit. so I used the existing bombardier emblem. this also makes it easier since I no longer feel a need to rewire the horn so you can beep using the steering wheel. also I think it makes it look a little more factory.

Attachments

• 20170812_073233.jpg
    20170812_073233.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back