Advice on putting in new audio system

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have 4, MbQuart 6.5" speakers and a m475 clarion head unit and thats it for my system. It sounds decent now but the speakers are getting old and I'm looking to upgrade but keep the head unit. I also have a planet audio RX4.40 200Wx4 amplifier sitting around that i'd like to use. This is where I could use some advice...

I was looking at getting 4 - MTX TM6502 6.5" and installing these with the amplifier, running on its own marine battery and install a new power switch so i can charge this battery off the other battery while the boat is running. I want to put the new battery in so i don't get stranded in a cove some where if I've been listening to music all day.

Is this going to sound good or am I just wasting my time trying to install this amplifier system? I've installed some stereo systems before but i'm not very technical when trying to figure out what components to add for the money.

Also, where is the safest spot to install the amplifier in my 2002 utopia 185 so that it won't over heat or anything

Thanks in advance guys!

Welcome!!!!

somehow I missed your post. I think I seem to answer most audio questions in this section. So you have 4 6.5 speakers and you wanna add 4 more? I really think that you would get a more noticeable change by adding subs. 4 good quality mid range speaker is a great start. It would sound better than what you currently have, but a pair of subs would be a huge improvement.

A 2nd battery is always a good addition, especially if you like to sit and listen to music for a long time. Im not real familiar with the Utopia, so I'm not sure where the best place to put stuff is. I am actually like 20 minutes south of Cincinnati though. Maybe I can check it out sometime and offer some advice. Where in the are are ya? I'm in northern KY. Where do you boat at?

Hey RFoster, I am actually just replacing the 4 speakers with my new ones instead of adding 4 more. I would be adding the amplifier. The speakers currently attach directly to the head units instead of going through an amplifier. I might put 2 of those old speakers that i'm taking out and putting them on the back of the boat so i can hear the music better when I'm out in the water. Havn't decided yet :confused: Also How important is it to get all marine grade equipment such as the amps and the wire and all that?

I actually got the speakers in today and they are 50w peak which is what the head unit puts out per channel so putting in the amp wouldn't do anything for these expect over work them correct? I guess the only reason to put in the amp would be if I added subs like you said?

I am actually a bit north of Cincinnati in west chester. Last year was the first year I had the boat and I docked it down at cumberland. This will be my first year towing the boat around so i can explore more around this area such as the ohio river, caesars creek, brookville lake. Needless to say this weather is making me very excited!

You would notice the difference with an amp and those speakers. An amp makes the speakers perform much better. I highly recommend all marine stuff. The amp, you may get away with not using marine grade depending on where you mount it, but the speakers, i would only use marine rated. Besides just the water and moisture, they take a beating from the sun.

Cumberland is a good time. I keep my boat in my garage. It is nice to be able to just go out and hit a local place sometimes. I goto the river a lot. I wanna try out Casears Creek this year. I hit Brookville last year and hated it, that place has huge waves, reminded me of vein on Lake Erie.

We'll have to get together somewhere this year. There are a few other Cincinnati guys on here now.

I have a 2000 Challenger and wondered if these are to big they are 7.7 Mtx Thunder ill be getting an amp everything right now is 100 percent stock. I figured it would make up for not installing subs somewhat. I was wondering if this would look wierd at almost 8 inch??? 2 in bow and 2 in stock postion not sure on what amp or head unit yet trying to get good quality without going broke.ive also looked at the kicker system set on ebay trying to figure whats the best way to go. If any one has advice id love it ive read almost all the post i could find to research. thanks

2000 sea doo challenger 2000
MTX SET
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTX-TM7702-...n_0&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae5f1a45e#ht_3862wt_988

KICKER SET
http://www.ebay.com/itm/23075684714...AX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_2563wt_977

Last edited by a moderator:
Either speakers would sound fine. There have been a couple guys here who opted for 7 or 8 inch speakers instead of subs. They will sound better than stock for sure. I have all Kicker speakers and they sound great and have held up good.

So im deciding on going with the mtx thunders 7.7 speakers but what do you guys use to drill the hole??? whole saws? my specs say
Cut Out Diameter: 6.31" (16.03 cm) thanks

A hole saw works great. I bought a cheap set at harbor freight for like 10 bucks. I don't remember the biggest size though. Even though it says 6.3, I would be willing to bet that a 6 inch hole works fine. Mine called for a 5 and half and 5 worked. You can always shave a bit off with a dremel or grinding bit. Use a corded drill and it cuts like butter. It will kill a cordless quick. Also, when you think you are about to bust through go very slow. That way if there are any wires you won't cut through them.

A hole saw works great. I bought a cheap set at harbor freight for like 10 bucks. I don't remember the biggest size though. Even though it says 6.3, I would be willing to bet that a 6 inch hole works fine. Mine called for a 5 and half and 5 worked. You can always shave a bit off with a dremel or grinding bit. Use a corded drill and it cuts like butter. It will kill a cordless quick. Also, when you think you are about to bust through go very slow. That way if there are any wires you won't cut through them.

Cool thanks I'll check it out now I've also been looking up adjustable hole saws.. wondered if anybody has used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back