Advice on Engine Drive - Possible Seizure or Pump Problem?? :)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gents

New to the forum but I work on board a luxury superyacht with 6 jetskis so looking forward to making a contribution on the forum.

My first post is to ask which part of the engine and drive train of a GTX Limited 215 I should be looking at, as the major culprit in a recent failure we had with this jetski. As what normally happens the deckhands delivered the boat back to us after a guest was using the unit and shrugged their shoulders and said "It's broken". We now fear a complete seizure.

What has happened though is the entire drive train has become incredibly hard to rotate. Tested this by using a big wrench and forcing the shaft to rotate. So could the SC cause this stiffness? I don't think so because of the SC clutch. There is the obvious over heat, pistons swell, barrel seizure potential, but would like to know if there are any other directly driven systems which could cause this fault. I doubt the counter balance. The impeller looks pretty good in its housing so wouldn't think that. The PTO could be the culprit but not sure.

If anyone has a simple test procedure that I could go through to determine the fault I would really appreciate it!!:thumbsup:

... after a guest was using the unit and shrugged their shoulders and said "It's broken". We now fear a complete seizure.

What has happened though is the entire drive train has become incredibly hard to rotate. Tested this by using a big wrench and forcing the shaft to rotate. So could the SC cause this stiffness? I don't think so because of the SC clutch. There is the obvious over heat, pistons swell, barrel seizure potential, but would like to know if there are any other directly driven systems which could cause this fault. I doubt the counter balance. The impeller looks pretty good in its housing so wouldn't think that. The PTO could be the culprit but not sure.

If anyone has a simple test procedure that I could go through to determine the fault I would really appreciate it!!:thumbsup:

First things first...what year is the ski in question.

Big thing here is sc clutch washers...early models came with ceramics...they can easily fail..if not cleaned out and replaced immeadiately...major damage can result.

First test...with motor off...remove air intake from sc and try to spin the blades with the tip of your finger.

report back.

Hi Red2Blue

Thanks for the response. Sorry for the missing info. It's the 2008 GTX Limited 215 that has the problem. Awesome! Will try this easy check and get back to you.

Pull the pump out/off... if something's jammed between an impeller blade and the wear ring, it would cause symptoms you describe. With pump off make sure impeller spins freely and no foreign objects wrapped up around impeller or driveshaft.

If jetpump spins freely then pull spark plugs out of engine and try cranking it... any water on top of pistons would make the engine VERY hard to turn over if at all! Removing the plugs will allow any water on top of pistons to blow out. Check oil level, make sure oil looks clean and not milky and isn't above the top bend on the dipstick (in the middle of the bend is the correct oil level). If water found in pistons or in engine crankcase then question becomes how did water get ingested into the engine?

It's unlikely anything is wrong with the supercharger, it would have the steel washers not ceramics. Try pulling the jetpump 1st and let's go from there then pull the spark plugs and verify there's no liquids in the cylinders and no water in the engine oil.

- Michael

Sadly, even the most luxurious things aren't without its flaws. Hope the fix went well. Recently I have heard about u guy who almost sunk on the first voyage in his yacht because the yacht was delivered in this state. That must have been pretty sad. :D

I always wanted to work on a luxurious yacht. It would be really interesting to slowly travel the world and can spend my free time on the deck. On the other hand since I have read this, I would be on the deck all the time, fearing that the thing might end up under the sea :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back