Advice on 2003 Utopia 185 Purchase

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAD

Hi All,

I'm new to Seadoo Forum, but have been viewing from the sidelines for a while now. I am astounded by the wealth of info here! Big thanks to all members.

On to my question... (and hope I am posting in the right place)

I am currently speaking to a dealer about a used 2003 Seadoo Utopia 185 (240 Merc EFI). I'm told that the boat has had a single owner and has been serviced by this dealer since new (prev. owner traded in for a fishing boat). Dealer is having technicians look over the boat tomorrow morning to provide compression results. I understand from other posts here that I should look for results on all cylinders that are within approx. 5% of eachother. What I have not found are min, good and excellent compression ranges. Could someone please let me know?

Although the dealer seems reputable and has been very helpful, I am troubled by a comment made today on the phone. He told me that they were not able to hook up the computer to the engine to determine hours. Problem is something about year of the boat vs. the diagnostic equipment. Does this make sense? Also, if the boat returns good compression results, what extra information does the hour reading provide? What other information does the diagnostic provide?

I will be be testing the boat on Friday. Should I also be bringing the boat to another Merc tech to confirm compression and get diagnotic completed?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. This is my first real step into the power boat world so it is all very new to me.

Many Thanks,
Mike V.

dude, not to burst a bubble, but from being a member here its to my understanding, its not recomended to buy a seadoo with a merc drive, primary reason being alot there hard as hell to get somebody to work on them, and when you find someone who will they will charge you a leg, and possibly an arm...and i think the parts are not easy to find as well....i dont own one myself, but i have read posts of others that do...there are some guys that may sign on later and will absolutely chime in on this topic......

I'm the local "Don't buy a Merc" advocate.

Here's the deal... they are super reliable, and run for a long time, but when there are issues... they get expensive quick. As in... "sell the boat, because the repairs will cost more than it's worth."

If, you are a good home mechanic, then a Merc powered SeaDoo is fine. The drive parts can be bought at your local Mercury dealer, as SeaDoo no longer supports them.

As far as the hours on the boat. What kind of dealer is it? If it's not a SeaDoo sport boat dealer... they won't be able to read out the computer. But, unless you are getting the boat cheap... you should find out how many hours are on it. If he is a seadoo dealer... that can be an indication of some electrical issues. (like a computer on it's way out)

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Mercury = RELIABLE!

The Merc is very reliable.

Lots of 2nd opinions on this site....
I own one & love it for many reasons.
(Search
Would you second guess a Mercury Outboard?
Its exactly the same powerhead with a Jet drive.
The Drive is better than Seadoo's
no leaky carbon seal (your boat wont sink)
and it is self Draining (It you late winterizing, no worries it won't freeze)

You will always hear its expensive to repair.
But it is cheaper to maintain.......

The Best response to this question i've seen is by WAJetboating
who has owned both. scroll down thread.
see: http://seadooforum.com/showthread.php?t=33340

Adam

If it were me, I'd find another Mercury dealer to look at it and get an unbiased opinion. Someone mentioned if it isn't a Seadoo dealer they won't be able to read the computer. Not true...as any Mercury dealer works with this "outboard V6 Mercury" all day long. Around here in fact, my local Seadoo dealer won't even look at it, but the Merc techs at my local marina are happy to.

I do most of my own work with the service manual, and really, the only area which might be unfamiliar to a Merc dealer is not the engine but the drive, and if you hand them a service manual when you drop your boat off for service, they'll figure it out....it's not rocket science.

I bought mine used 3 years ago and I'd do it again.

Mike

Thanks for the replies

Hi All,

I appreciate the open, candid discussion on this boat. It is very helpful.

Just heard back from the dealer and compression results are strong (all ranging between 138 and 145). I also asked him about the inability for his shop to hook up the motor to his diagnostics computer. He indicated that although his shop is a Seadoo dealer (and he can hook up to all year seadoo engines), he has only dealt with mercs more recently (and he can only hook up to mercury engines that are 2006 or younger). He did agree on the higher cost to service the Merc but pointed out that it is a much more reliable engine plus there is only one engine to service (vs. two in many Seadoo boats).

I did ask about taking the boat to another dealer for the diagnostic test. He was absolutely fine with that and even tried to think of a few nearby dealers that I could take it to to check things out. He is also willing to provide a free30-day warranty on the boat via his dealership (they would do all work should there be any mechanical faults in that period).

I am getting the feeling that this is a good deal. For the record, I have looked at the younger boats with seadoo engines, but the relative price is far beyond what I am willing to spend on a first power boat. For the record, this boat is in the $12K range.

Thanks,
MV

Seems like a good price. If it is in good shape and they offer a warranty, run the crap out of it the first month.

He needs the Merury Digital Diagnostic Terminal (DDT). It plugs directly into that engine. He probably doesn't have that tool. They're $1000+ from Mercury so he's not likely to run out and buy one unless he's expecting to work on a lot of those engines.

The idea to visit a certified Mercury shop is the right one. They'll probably have the tool, it will plug right in, and all will be well.

Report back!

FWIW, $12K seems high. There's a 2002 on Ebay right now with a start bid of $6,700.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...29eQQitemZ120600564382QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

I paid about $12k for mine..... 3 years ago.... and it's a Utopia 205. But...if you have to have it and it's it great shape go for it.

Mike

Ah yes, I can only look at the deals possible in the US and dream .....

Unfortunately, both the 185 and 205 vintage 2002/2003 up here in Canada tend to get snapped up quickly in the $12K-$13K range (if not higher). The good news is that hours tend to be quite low due to a shorter boating season in the Georgian Bay region where many of these boats can be found.

I will be getting the boat tested as many of you have suggested and will likely close the deal tomorrow (assuming all is well). The bonus 30 day warranty will mean lots of time on the water over the next few weeks...

I'll keep you posted.

Again thanks for all the responses.

Mike

I am also a newbie to this site...

I own a 2003 Utopia 185 with the 200HP V6 Optimax. I agree with Daverade, Mercury engines are the "Bastard Child" of Seadoo when it comes to find someone to work on it. However, it seems like you have established a good contact with the reputable shop. I also agree with Drhonda, they are expensive to maintain. However, if you have a good mechanical background, and good common sense, you will be fine doing a lot of the work yourself. My personal experience, the performance and reliability of these Mercury engines outweigh the cost of maintenance. Go for it my brother and have lots of fun!

Gerry Z.

I am also a newbie to this site...

I own a 2003 Utopia 185 with the 200HP V6 Optimax. I agree with Daverade, Mercury engines are the "Bastard Child" of Seadoo when it comes to find someone to work on it. However, it seems like you have established a good contact with the reputable shop. I also agree with Drhonda, they are expensive to maintain. However, if you have a good mechanical background, and good common sense, you will be fine doing a lot of the work yourself. My personal experience, the performance and reliability of these Mercury engines outweigh the cost of maintenance. Go for it my brother and have lots of fun!

Gerry Z.

the performance and reliability of these Mercury engines outweigh the cost of maintenance.

To clarify: Maintenance is, IMHO, faster and easier and less expensive on the Mercury than on the Rotax. It's on that rare occasion that you have serious repairs that the Mercury's cost exceeds the Rotax.

Of course, if you do regular maintenance then serious repairs become less and less likely, no matter what the brand.

Its Done!!

After a great water test and favourable test results, I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Utopia! Truth be told, I was sold about 5 minutes into the water test ... what an incredibly fun boat!

The clock on the 30-day warranty starts ticking this coming Friday when I will be towing the boat off to the cottage. I have explained to my wife that I will really need to test the boat intensively for a while and unfortunately will therefore not be able to spend time at the in-laws for a while ... Hey, we all need to make sacrifices!

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Cheers,
Mike V

After a great water test and favourable test results, I am now the proud owner of a 2003 Utopia! Truth be told, I was sold about 5 minutes into the water test ... what an incredibly fun boat!

Congrats! I predict many happy hours. As with any mechanical device, be sure to do your maintenance. Remember, "Take good care of your equipment and it will take good care of you."

will therefore not be able to spend time at the in-laws for a while ... Hey, we all need to make sacrifices!

Yes, that's very unfortunate but clearly you have your priorities straight. You've made a significant, life-changing decision and it's important to follow through. {grin}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back