Adding a sub and new speaker.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMoonPie

I am toying around with upgrading the stereo in my speedster 200 this year.I have absolutely no clue about marine audio, what sounds good, how much power is necessary, if the battery can keep up with it, where to mount subs ect.

I have already installed a 27 series deep cycle battery, with an isolator.

Question 1: How many and what size sub do I need?

Question 2: Where to mount the sub, for ideal acoustics?

Question 3: Are there preferred manufacturers for marine speakers?

I have list of speakers/amp that I have compiled here

I have used JBL's many times in past, but their more commercial grade concert speakers. I am by no means married to using them. Thanks!

My son did the install in that 96 and I can say that the radio, amp and kicker speakers are awesome. Might pm him and get more info. He's Jeff W

My son did the install in that 96 and I can say that the radio, amp and kicker speakers are awesome. Might pm him and get more info. He's Jeff W

Thank you, I will shoot him a PM. Did you only end up using one 10" sub? Was it loud enough? My boat is a bit bigger than the early speedsters, will it still be enough? Thanks!

We only used one sub. For that size of boat I think it is plenty loud. My son keeps messing with me though saying we need another one. Lol. I'm sure you'll have room for another one in the 200.

There is always room somewhere, but I would prefer to try and save some coin where I can. If it is unnecessary I will probably only get one. Your son has been very helpful, thank you very much!

.......... you only end up using one 10" sub? Was it loud enough? My boat is a bit bigger than the early speedsters, will it still be enough? Thanks!

It's not like doing a car. You are in the open air, so the sound goes everywhere. That's why most wake towers have speakers pointed back at the guy riding.

So... to answer your question indirectly...

Do you want to hear the low frequencies, while sitting still? Then yes... a single 10" is fine.

Do you want to FEEL the bass, while moving.... then a single 10" doesn't have a chance. (unless you are sitting next to it)

Here's something else to think about........

where do you boat, and who do you boat with???

If you are young, and hang out at the "Party" palaces (like a cove that it known for rafting) then a cool stereo is needed. But I find 98% of the time... the other people on my boat don't want to be blasted with music, and more importantly... while at speed... there is so much other noise (wind, engine, etc) that even a very loud radio is hard to hear, and isn't very enjoyable.

I'm just throwing that out for you to think about, because I've seen it a lot of times. Guys will spend a lot of $$$ on a sound system for the boat and they are either disappointed in the sound quality, or realize that they don't use it enough to justify the $$$ spent. (buyer's remorse)

So... before dropping the $$$... think about 1) your ultimate goal. 2) Sound level/quality. 3) Where/who you ride with.

Thank you for the response Dr.Honda. I appreciate the response, it was very helpful. I am 19 and most of the people that I take out are around that age as well. My ultimate goal is to have a nice sounding set up. One that doesn't distort at higher volume levels and provides a nice kick for bass. Now I am looking for this level when just cruising down the river, a relaxing more social speed. When moving quickly I don't find a real need for hearing music.

If the idea of what I want is difficult to grasp, the stock stereo can be easily heard at the speed I am cruising at and it does not have to be at full volume, or close to it. It sounds like garbage though, I am really looking to just improve the sound quality of the current speakers. Not so much increase the volume level as the volume level that they put out is adequate for what I want.

Thanks!

Our experience should be similar to yours. Our X-20 is the predecessor to your Speedster 200. At least similar in size.

As well as the battery and isolator, I dropped in the head unit and pair of speakers from our previous boat. Since we had a tower this justified an amp and tower speakers. We did point the speakers down a bit in back as we used the stereo when anchored more than during towing sports.

The season before last, I upgraded the head unit for better MP3, Pandora playback with wireless remote. At that time I added a mono amp and one 10" sub.

I have found that the addition of the sub rounded out the sound so nice. We got lows that allowed us to run the entire system at much higher volumes. I do believe a second sub would help more, but no needed at all. It is more than adequate and a person really could plan it properly to add the second one if needed later with no investment loss.

If I were to add anything now, It would either be forward facing tower speakers for the bow, or built in bow speakers for the bow riders. The sound really is focused to the rear of the consoles and sundeck/swimdeck.

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Thanks! Getting to be that time of year. I am having a very difficult time finding a head unit that has a separate sub woofer output. That allows for adjusting your sub woofer separate from your highs. Can anyone point me in the correct direction? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back