adding a gauge to a 97 xp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

krazybob738

Good evening everyone

I was wondering if it is possible to add a rpm gauge to my xp it is a 97 and it doesn't have a gauge in the dash. I was wondering if there was a pigtail for a gauge or if I will have to jimmy something up. Has anyone ever done this before thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did do this on my xp, it's not too hard, just have to track down the right parts. First, depending on what year the gauges came from you may need to swap around the power plugs or make an adapter harness so the work right. Second, you need a certain pin that you have to add to the mpem plug in position #1. Regular weather pack pins won't work. I ordered mine from seadoo source. Once you add the single pin to the mpem plug, you need to add the required connector and pin to plug into the grey wire on your tach (single pin plug).

I get back in town this weekend and can see if I can track down the spare mpem pin I have, I bought two in case I boogered the first one.

that would be awesome! do you have any pics of this mod? (location of this plug) I found some gauges from a 97 xp/gtx/gti ect on ebay and was gonna buy some of those and swap out my big vts gauge for the small one and put the big rpm gauge in as well. I really appreciate any and all help.

You'll want the 97 gtx tach, and a small vts gauge from an spx or other ski with the smaller gauges. I did it a bit differently, swapping all but the gas gauge from a 99 or 2000 ski which was all white with black block text instead of the script style on the 97s. I'll see if I have some pics when I get to a computer later.

Didn't find any pictures of the gauge install, but I did find my old thread on it.

part no. 278000995 and they are pretty spendy at 2-4 bucks each.

I ordered from seadoosource, and had to pull the mpem plug apart and replace the blank pin #1 with the new pin and ran the wire up to the dash. And soldered in a spare bit of wire and pin and single plug to mate with the single wire from the tach.

image.jpg

Found a pic of what mine looked like, except I left the speedo on the right and the tach on the left.

Hello again everyone

So I have ordered some gauges now as I wait for them I figured I will do some prep work to the ski such as pulling wire and what not. So what exactly is involved with adding a tach and moving the vts gauge I noticed the big vts gauge had different plugs then the little one and I am not exactly sure what to do with all the wires from the tach any help would be great thanks an advance.

Robert

You'll want to look at the wiring diagram for your ski and for the one the gauge came from, the wire colors might be the same for both, just with a different arrangement of plugs. The vts gauge I bought had like a 2 pin and 4 pin plug while I think the 97 xp has three 2 pin plugs. You'll want a weather pack pin tool, looks like a little yellow screwdriver and you can get it off of amazon.

Good morning:

I just bought the pin tool that should be here in a couple days i will have to check out those diagrams and see what those wires goto the rpm gauge goes to a 97 gtx i will have to ask tanka what year and make ski the mini vts came from so i can look up that diagram also my big vts gauge had a 2 pin connector and a 4 pin connector the mini vts gauge has 3- 2 pin connectors and the rpm gauge has 2 - 2 pin connectors and a one pin connector i know the one pin goes to the mpem so i guess i will be doing some reading of the manuals thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back