A few questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1of500

Ok so I have a 2001 RXX. I have owned it for a little over a month. The p/o either had the top end redone or did it himself not really sure the compression is 120 both sides. From what he said he broke it in the spring and parked it. I did test it before purchase it was a little sluggish so I started doing research that's how I found this forum. First thing I found out was he was using the wrong oil, and it still had some grey lines on it as well. Since I've owned the ski I have done the following:

Changed every fuel line, the selector,replaced the filter in the water separator verified all check valves are functioning properly.

Rebuilt carbs

Removed and cleaned the oil tank, replaced lines, installed new filter.

Cleaned and reground rave valves (the edges were kind of rough)

Today I took it for a lake test. I think I have the mixture fairly close but I have the following issues.

Vibration from idle to between 2500 and 3k rpm. I looked at the driveshaft there is some movement on the impeller side. The impeller will slide in and out maybe 1/4 to maybe 3/8 of and inch from what I have read on here it sounds like the rubber bumper on the end is gone.

Next issue is there is exhaust leaks where the twin pipes join together. There is no clamp but just O-rings on the inside of each pipe where they couple. My thought is get a silicone coupling like you use for turbo systems and slide it on before joining the pipes. Then put a couple big hose clamps on it.

Next problem is I take on some water at lower speed like in a no wake I'm thinking carbon seal since I need to replace the rubber ends on the shaft I will kill two birds with one stone.

My last issue is coming off WOT some times it will stall if I just drop the rpms maybe 2k to slow down a bit.

This is my main concern I have looked and this is the only issue I haven't found a solution to yet. Please chime in and let me know if I'm going the wrong way on any of my other problems.

Thanks in advance sorry for the long read.

Post up some pictures of your rxx, id like to see it. These skis are actually pretty rare. They had a short life span, a lot of them died around the 20 hour mark.

The body is probably an 8 out of 10 the bottom of the hull has scratches on it like its been beached a lot but the engine compartment and out side are above average the seat is faded I think it may have sat out side for a while

343.jpg
344.jpg
345.jpg
346.jpg
347.jpg
348.jpg
349.jpg

See the grey grease where the pipes connect in the last picture both of the pipes leak at the same spot

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah My aunt has had one there since the 60s. I was at tobosofkee this morning trying to get it dialed in

From what I understand, the rxx will need a new top end every 20-30 hours. [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] had two mint ones. He will be able to offer you the best advice on these

I'm planning on doing a complete rebuild over winter but there's still plenty of riding left. I've been away from pwcs since about 2008 when the economy went to crap. I used to know a guy at jet thrust that took of my previous ski's for me. But I haven't found anyone who I trust to work on this machine.

I've heard tch powersports in eatonton does good work. The owner raced in the 90's and I believe still races today

I'm sure he would. Being an old school 2 stroke guy I think he would like having it in his shop.
With all the knowledge on this forum I'm sure you could do it all yourself.
Wait for [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] to see this post. He knows these skis

Sorry I've missed this thread. I just saw the message on my profile thing I never check, sorry. Hit me with a PM anytime. Hope you got this beauty running well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back