99 XP Limited taking on water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

wakeboard33

I recently bought a used 99 XP Limited. Upon first ride the PWC is taking on water rather quickly. I checked for any hull leaks and that is not the problem, no water enters the hull when PWC is off and sitting in water. The PWC is taking on water rather quickly at idle and speed. The exhaust does not seem to be leaking either. I have removed the pump and bottom plates and nothing really seems suspect. At Idle it appears that the leak is pumping in water from the bottom. I have monitored closely and it is not apparent where it is coming from? I used the flush kit to see if I could fill the hull up at idle that way but no luck. Only fills up at idle or speed in the water. Yes the plugs are in.

We had the exact same problem with our gsx limiteds, and it took forever to figure out. There are 2 small plastic tubes behind the impelller. If one or both of these are missing, it will take on water like crazy when moving just as you described. I attached a picture of the tubes im talking about.

Attachments

• 08-09-09_1730-1.jpg
    08-09-09_1730-1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 658
It could be either the anti-siphon tubes as referred to by cbetts, or, I am thinking a broken or leaking carbon ring. Its on the drive shaft. If you take the rear hatch out, look at the silver shaft and there is a black rubber accordian boot(this can leak too) and a silver stopper with two orings in it. Either can leak. If you take a hose and stick it up through the intake grate and look inside the hull, you should be able to spot it quite easily. You really need two people for this. It may take a few mins to get water in the spot, as its not completely surrounded by water as it is when in the water.

The only way I've ever seen broken siphon tubes is if a rock goes through the pump, just my personal experience working on them for people.

No you can't fill the hull with water and look, you have to spray water, and constant water, up into the intake grate where the drive shaft goes into the hull.

Try it out and let us know.

99 GSX taking on Water

I have a 99 GSX that is also taking on water quickly , In reading this post regarding the missing tubes, I found that I am missing one . I am wondering if you know why this little tube missing would create such havoc ?

because when the tube is missing the bilge for that tube works in reverse. With the tube in place the water going around it creates a vacuum which is how the bilge pulls water from the hull.

Same Problem

I am having the same problem and am wondering how to replace the tube that is missing, anyhelp would be awesome thanks

Siphon Tubes

These tubes can be bought at you local Sea Doo dealer or of course online at Sea Doo. I was missing only one , Cost me $3. You will have to press them in as they are tight . Fairly simple . I will find out this weekend if it worked !

Good Luck

Thought I would get back to ya'll on this trouble. It was a sure fix !

Thanks to those who post here . This was so very helpful !

RC

water in the engine

I was reading this thread as well. I have a 98 and a 99 sea doo xp limited, it was flipped on the left side and water got into the engine itself. Pulled the plugs and it spit out water like a water show...got it all out sprayed wd 40 to make sure it didnt rust up and let it sit for a while and it eventually started.....why and how did water get in the engine just from tiping it on the side not completely over....how can i fix this from happening again....didnt catch the 98, seased the engine it now is being rebuilt for i do not trust SBT...please any help would be appreciated....is it the intake????

depending which way it tipped, the rear deck lid and the engine cover lid, will allow water in, if tipped, then when brought back upright, possible, the airbox assy, since the 951 lids, sit low, scooped up water...walah, water in engine.

i have been trying to pinpoint my water problem, i cannot see any water comming in when i have the lid open, the thing that blows is its a 98 xp ltd. and i only have a river by me that people dont move slow. so its just choppy to no end. but im cruising along and making sure no water crashed over the hull, come to a stop with the nose in the air and beach it. open her up and damn its just about full, the bilge pump is pushing it all out. but its really just insane. takes about 15 mins until i have to stop and let it pump all out. sometimes its hit or miss with alot of water or not. all my hoses are sealed. (i could not find an actual attachment for the hose so i tried to make one, prolly not the best idea) but besides that hoses are all fine no leaks ne more. did the fill the hull up with water, let it sit for a bout 2 hours, just a few drips from the drain plug i presume or the bunks of trailor. im trying to find those little bailer tubes, noticed those are not there but cannot tell if the ones im looking at are for the 98 xp ltd. sorry for the long ramble post, but i am at a complete loss and running out of time before my vaca to the ozarks.

heres a link to where i found some of those siphon tubes
http://www.parkeryamaha.com/seadoopumpbailersiphontube271001133.aspx

and if anyone knows where i can get an attachtment to direct plug the seadoo into the hose at, i would greatly appreciate that as well.

Chaser :banghead:

those are what you need, bud. If not there (inside pump/nozzle area, you'll see the 2-holes up at top forthem), the syphon system, does just that, will syphon water thru the bailers and into the hull. If hoses there, then it'll work in reverse effect...the correct way.

does it matter it one of those bailers inside is missing? (the one under the battery) also just noticed that now. only had seadoo for about a month

Just wanted to Note that this was my problem and thanks. its mind boggling to think of how such a small piece is really that critical.

save time and money check for these little buggers.

SeaDoo Pump Bailer Siphon Tube 271001133
:hurray:

Got a 98 GSX Limited and had about 6-7" of water in it within 100yds of our maiden voyage with it. Reading your post - do I spray water up in the grate with the engine running or just on the trailer?

After buying a 98 xp limited the other day and taking it out on the first ride it took on tons of water, after reading this post I checked my syphon hoses and one is missing. I wanted to ride today but the dealer is closed for the 4th. Is there any way to substitute plastic tubing? It appears that's all it is from what I can see? What is involved in installing a new tube? Is it pretty simple? Help please! Thanks for any help.

I've got a 98 GSX taking on water as well. I automatically replaced the seal at the drive shaft but the leak persists. I've checked the previous solutions stated here and I'm all good there. The seadoo only appears to be leaking when under power and "water pressure" which leads me to believe that one hose has a hole in it and the running water pressure blows the water out. The inside of the seadoo is sprayed with water when the leak occurs. I've tried running it under power while still attached to the submerged trailer in order to get some power to it and hopefully see what hose is leaking but still cannot see it. Any great ideas out here on how to trouble-shoot this thing? Thank goodness for my bilge pump....

Are you saying these plastic tubes fit up into the holes on the rear of he seadoo? I dont have any tubes in mine but I have the holes. Mine recently started taking on water but not every time? It happened once last week and now again this weekend but sat in the water the whole week with no trouble. Do I need to remove anything to replace this? Do I need to be looking into a pump replacement kit yet for the water issue? Thanks for any help.

Yes there's an excellent thread somewhere that I'll find that shows you the siphon tubes. If those are missing that's your problem. It only happens when the machine is running thru the water.

It's at the top of this exact thread (duh me..) Shows an excellent picture of where they are etc. The tubes are $5-$10 I think.

so let me get this right, the 99 xp pulls water out the hull when the ski is moving trough those 2 siphon tubes in the pic, no electric conections right? and...

the ski pumps water out trough an electric automatic bilge pump wether its moving or not sort of a back up right?

what prevents water from filling the hull trough the siphon tubes when the ski is not moving?

Sorry I don't know the mechanics of the process. All I know is what I have read here and that without at least one of the two, the ski
actually sucks IN water but only when the ski is moving through the water. It can sit there and have no water coming in. I looked at a
parts diagram for a 99 XP Limited which I assume is yours and the diagram shows NO siphon tubes in the schematic whereas in my 98 GSX it does so I am led to believe that your issue is NOT with the non-presence of these tubes.

so let me get this right, the 99 xp pulls water out the hull when the ski is moving trough those 2 siphon tubes in the pic, no electric conections right? and...

the ski pumps water out trough an electric automatic bilge pump wether its moving or not sort of a back up right?

what prevents water from filling the hull trough the siphon tubes when the ski is not moving?

If you look at the bailers and follow the hoses, youll see that the hoses come up high before going to the pump (at least they should or else youll get water coming into the hull when your not moving in the water). this is what stops the water froming coming in because the hoses are raised above the waterline. water cannot travel up due to gravity. hope that made sense.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back