99 seadoo gtx 951 gas/oil mix

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi wondering if anyone here has experience with the gtx limited 951 engine? Trying to figure out at what point the gas and oil mix to go to the cylinders. I melted a piston last weekend and it looks like it was a “lean” issue. Any suggestions to pinpointing the cause of my motor melting a piston would be greatly appreciated. It also began to have play it it before it completely quit to where it was just barely hitting the spark plug and closing the gap.

It’s typically a lack of fuel from a dirty fuel system/carbs running it lean not lack of oil.

If the little oil lines from the pump to the intake aren’t broken and only one cylinder seized it isn’t an oil issue.

Okay good to know, so the carbs were just redone, we have put probably 30 hours on it since then, do you think this could have been hppening this whole time and just finally had enough or do you think this just happened. It ran flawlessly after the carb rebuild. Maybe air getting in the fuel line due to hose clamps or zip ties being too loose? I did find one fuel line that goes from the first carb to the second carb that was kinked a little and another one that was letting a little air in. (They are clear line)

Absolutely , a kinked or loose line would seize an engine.

The 951 is a lean burn engine since it came with all the new emission laws and was jetted really lean from the factory. It doesn't take much to seize a 951. The biggest killers are water ingestion and fuel system issues on the 951.

Wow that’s such good info thanks a lot. Cuz I noticed on the good cylinder that the piston wash proved it was running lean also. Would the water ingesting come from the exhaust gaskets and/or the exhaust itself?

Water ingestion comes from either a bad pipe to manifold gasket or getting water in the hull and flipping it.

Here’s a picture of piston wash just to be sure.
5e19daa68d9971343fc8177c73026192.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back