99 Seadoo GSX 12v low light

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noahhuotari

Hello everyone,

So I just bought my first jet ski (99 Seadoo GSX) and have never owned one before, so I am quite the beginner when it comes to them. I bought it used with 90hrs on it, I put in a new battery and new plugs.

It was finally nice enough yesterday to take it out and see how it goes. Ran good for a few min till I got a red flashing light saying 12v low and then it died and wouldn't start again, I've read a few posts about this, but decided to start from the begging with troubleshooting. From the ones I've read, sounds like it could be a few things; grounds, rectifier, voltage regulator, bad VTS module?

What are my first steps for troubleshooting this problem? Hopefully something I can fix easily since it's going to be in the 90s this weekend!

Thanks!

The rectifier and voltage regulator are the SA,me thing. And the fail often. I would NOT buy an aftermarket as most are junk. Either buy a new OEM or contact [MENTION=41828]Minnetonka4me[/MENTION] for a good used one. ALso, I believe you can instal an newer 4-tec version. They hold up much better. This is really the first place to start as the stator is NO fun and does cost more money as well.

I would start by testing the battery. I have seen quite a few Walmart NeverStarts bad out of the box.
I would check the battery voltage and have it load tested first. If yours is fuel injected they need a good strong battery to stay running.

Did you check the fuses. I had an issue the other day. Was running for 1/2 hr full out. 12v low started flashing. Turned around so not to get stuck. About 20 min later full loss of power. Opened rear box 15 amp blew. Had a spare changed. Nothing. Paddled to shore opened front box and both 15 & 5 were blown. Had spares and changed. Started fine. Booked backed 15 min to dock and parked. Haven't been down to check but. What a day. Check that and if you got it fixed what was the issue?

Did you check the fuses. I had an issue the other day. Was running for 1/2 hr full out. 12v low started flashing. Turned around so not to get stuck. About 20 min later full loss of power. Opened rear box 15 amp blew. Had a spare changed. Nothing. Paddled to shore opened front box and both 15 & 5 were blown. Had spares and changed. Started fine. Booked backed 15 min to dock and parked. Haven't been down to check but. What a day. Check that and if you got it fixed what was the issue?
And I noticed my vts was working when I went out. When it was before. Like I said I'm gonna test er out a bit but whatever you find may help as well

So I hooked the multi meter up to the battery and gave it some gas the voltage dropped to single digits. I replaced the rectifier and repeated the test, voltage stayed in the 12-13 range. So, I took it back to the lake and it was going good, lasted a lot longer and the 12v low light never came on. I went full throttle and when I let off, it died again and wouldn't start (kayaker pulled me back to shore...)

I took the seat off and there was a decent amount of fluid inside. Looking further, it was a mix of water, gas and oil. My guess is I have a bad line somewhere and it has a gas leak and/or some kind of airlock causing it not to get gas?

Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back