99 challenger 1800 - Starts first but not after it warms up HELP ??????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tballman

I bought my first seadoo this winter (without a test drive). I have had it out a few times now and keep having the same issue. One motor runs great and the other keeps dieing while idleing but when i do get out to the main lake it runs GREAT. However when I stop and shut it down after an half hour or hour of driving it it will not start back up even after sitting and swiming for hours. I carry extra plugs and have tried to pull and replace which doesn't help (but they do look bad). After it sits for a few days it seems to be fine again.

I have gotten towed in both times I have been out which leads to my next question. Does it hurt to run on one motor? I haven't because I don't know and didn't want to risk it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it will hurt the stalled engine to run with just the other. The stalled motor will get water in it. Having said that, Seadoo states in their manual that you can 'pinch' the water inlet hose to prevent this from happening. Pick up your boat's owners manual and give it a read. This website sells them pretty cheap.

As far as your problem goes, I have noticed that when it is REALLY hot out my boat is hard to restart after swimming for a little bit. So I just use the "cold start" procedures and it seems to do fine.

Thanks, I will order a manual. As for the other I guess I will try to find a shop in the area that will not rip me off. Let me know if you know of any in Indiana.

Needle leaking?

Sometimes the carbs leak fuel, so the engine floods with fuel if you try to restart after a brief pause (could be 5 mins could be 30 mins)

If you suspect you are flooded, you can crank without pulling the choke, and at full throttle...that will let the most air through, and start the engine faster.

Nothing like rebuild carbs to make for a fast starting boat though.

I have never rebuild carbs before, however I would like to give it a shot. I just hope I will not do more harm than good. Where should a get the kits at?

I forgot to type that the plugs, even new ones are black even after a few secs trying to start.

Thanks for the help. It seem like the anwser to everything on these things is to rebuild the carbs.

It seem like the anwser to everything on these things is to rebuild the carbs.

I keep dreaming somebody will come up with a $300 port fuel injection solution for the engine! All we need is a fuel pump, injector , air volume sensor to calculate the amount of fuel to spray, and the chip that runs the whole thing.

It can't be that hard!

Wishful thinking aside, a more powerful fuel filter will go a long way in preventing the carb from needing a rebuild too quickly.

It has been sitting for about four days now. I just when out and both sides started within secs of hitting start. The guy I bought the boat from said the carbs were rebuilt last last (but he also said it runs good). I am wandering if the one just needs adjusted, but there again I don't know where to start. I need to get a manual.

If they start fine, and run fine, it may be a leaky needle, but something you can leave with if you can figure out how to get it started when it floods. Try what I suggested next time it happens, no choke, and full throttle, and it might just start

Most people don't replace the needle and seat when they rebuild the carb....It's like 5$ extra to replace.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back